• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FINALLY! Nvidia launches the 3-series!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
*sigh* Nvidia, could it et any more pathetic and confusing? You've even made Mr Worf disappointed
worfisfrustrated1.gif

It's so sad. If we're lucky NV will make a full and slightly cut down Fermi to harvest dies with sufficient number to make some available and some actual smaller die chips. More likely we're looking at yet another rename for all but the very top two cards, meanwhile ATi will have created and launched (TSMC yield problems aside) a full new range of cards within 6 months yet again. Why does NVs execution and willingness to push a full refresh suck so much?

That excuse might work if they hadn't been renaming for over 2 years, but then ATi doesn't seem to have a problem doing it*

*releasing a full line of updated GPUs within a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:
Nvidia seems to aim for high end, and then just rename for everything else. At least the last two generations.
So anything that using a defective high end die won't work for, gets a renamed part.

ATI would, for whatever reason, would rather use quite defective dies (46xx anyone? Less then half a 4870), which means they can use very defective dies. I suspect that there is a design difference between ati and nvidia that allows ati to use more of their defective stuff. Total guesswork on my part though.

Hm? Not quite Bob. ATi has made different physical GPU chips for different card ranges since the HD2000 series and usually makes each chip in to one fullly enabled and one slightly disabled version, the latter for defective die harvesting and market segmenting. They definitely did not use 4870/4850 GPUs for 4600 series cards and the HD5000 series is also a perfect example of this - 5870/5850 are the same die (Cypress), the latter with defective or disabled units, 5770/5750 (Juniper) are a different physical chip than the high-end cards but same thing with disabled units.

Nvidia better get their **** together because i saw today 5850s online retailing for $350!!!!

Weren't the 5850s like $270 a month ago?!!

We need some competition badly.

I'll never understand people who say they will boycott a company if they do "X". Hand on my heart, I could care less what either company is doing or who they're ripping off. It's simple: When I need a graphics card, it's either AMD or Nvidia, and I'm picking the one who gives me the best bang for my buck. I used to be ultra hardcore AMD and ATI, until I my wallet sent me an E-Mail...

"John, I feel we're drifting apart. It seems that lately, you just don't include me in any of your decisions. It's always "lawsuit" this or "evil" that. It's made me so upset, I've started to lose weight. I thought you said that you "loved my big fat roll". What happened to us?"

It's all about the best product for my money. Once you lose your house and almost everything you own due to the economy and it takes you 6 months to save for a $250 card, brand loyalty becomes a thing of the past.

Nvidia better get their **** together because i saw today 5850s online retailing for $350!!!!

Weren't the 5850s like $270 a month ago?!!

We need some competition badly.

It's not lack of competition, it's lack of stock. Supply and demand, you see. The 58-series was paper launched and the high prices are just a result of scarcity.

It's not lack of competition, it's lack of stock. Supply and demand, you see. The 58-series was paper launched and the high prices are just a result of scarcity.

Isn't a paper launch when you "launch" something but don't actually have any to sell?
They had 'em, but they sold out.

I suppose that paper is rendering my games and converting my videos and displaying this page right now?

1. paper launch

A release of a product, especially a computer component, in extremely limited quantities, making it very difficult for consumers to get their hands on. The purpose of this is generally for a company to be able to say "we have the fastest chip", before they can actually produce large numbers of them.

Thanks for the definition Earthdog.
That makes the 58xx a paper launch and the 57xx a real launch. Though it sounds like there are some 5850s surfacing, though at high prices. I expect another load to come out pretty quick here for christmas shopping.

That makes the 58xx a paper launch and the 57xx a real launch. Though it sounds like there are some 5850s surfacing, though at high prices. I expect another load to come out pretty quick here for christmas shopping.

That's why I didn't call the 5-series a paper launch, just the 58-series. Rumor says ATI has a new batch coming in around the 15th of December, but who knows if it's nearly enough to satisfy demand?

My reading comprehension apparently sucks today. I blame the ten year old CRT monitor.

Back