• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finding a Rural ISP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pjp

Registered
I am living on a farm in rural Ontario Canada, and there is no DSL or cable here.
Being an avid gamer this sucks.

Currently we have Rogers Rocket Stick (USB 3G Modem) which is slow due to barely getting a 3G signal, and the most expensive option for such little throughput.

Is there a site that lists and compares available ISPs?

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
There's no DSL or cable where I live either. We have a 3G modem, which I'm on right now, but we're getting satellite internet on Wednesday b/c we can hardly ever connect to 3G.

Prices are high, but it's the only option we have...other than 56Kb/s (which we had until 6 months ago).

$60/month - 1.0 Mbps/128 Kbps
$70/month - 1.2 Mbps/200 Kbps
$80/month - 1.6 Mbps/250 Kbps
$120/month - 2.0 Mbps/300 Kbps
$190/month - 3.0 Mbps/300 Kbps
$350/month - 5.0 Mbps/300 Kbps

Trap05

Won't satellite have horrible latency though? Obviously it'll work fine for browsing and email but online gaming will be tough.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
I use 3G from Sprint for my internet, and had much the same problem. I don't game, but the signal was low, sometimes showing zero bars though it would be connected.
I took advantage of the antenna port on my Novatel USB stick, and added a 50 foot extension cable and a Wilson dual band antenna on my roof.
Now I have 5 bars almost all the time, and speed is much improved.

I purchased my parts at 3gstore.com. You can look there for what you may need, and I think they ship to Canada, or maybe you can find the parts locally after locating part numbers on the website.

And yeah, it cost me ~$80, but now I can even watch online videos and other things that it was way too slow to before. Makes it well worth it.

*BTW, forgot to say your mileage may vary. My nearest towers are over a hill and a mile and a half away, so the rooftop antenna worked great for me....the antenna did improve signal when used without the extension cable, right next to the PC.

Last edited:
OP
P

pjp

Registered
Are there any wireless ISP's around?

I dunno, I was joping someone knew of a list of them. I haven't found any by googling.

I hate have a max of 5GB per month, between 4 people. Although we usually only use about 2-3GB because its so expensive.

Who provides satellite service around here, and is the initial hardware still super expensive?

Gresyth

Computer Abuser
I am living on a farm in rural Ontario Canada, and there is no DSL or cable here.
Being an avid gamer this sucks.

Currently we have Rogers Rocket Stick (USB 3G Modem) which is slow due to barely getting a 3G signal, and the most expensive option for such little throughput.

Is there a site that lists and compares available ISPs?

check out The List

Edward78

Thanks man, great link. I know your pain I live in a town in the middle of nowhere, thank god a wireless isp came in. They skrew us on price, but they are the only ones here $50 for Up to 768K download speed and up to 256K Upload speed.

Last edited:

Emotional Ninja

If you are going to be playing games I wouldn't recommend the satellite. Your latency would be horrible and I really doubt it'd be tolerable at all. I live in the country and use T6 Broadband (t6b.com) which works fine for me and I'm a gamer like you. The thing is, it's available in Canada. But see if you can find an ISP like that in your area, they just have to set up your module to work with games and you should be fine.
Good luck!

hitek420

Registered
I don't know where you are located in Ontario but here are a few links for wireless ISPs that serve Ontario if you are lucky enough to be in their coverage area and have LOS.
www.gbtel.ca is who I currently use and I am located on a farm in Bruce County.
www.gorillanet.ca
www.everus.ca
I know there are more options out there, you just need to look.

I am on GBTel residential basic for $45 a month, it's about 110KB/s burst DL with sustained rates at 55KB/s

google.com
Round-Trip: 43.575 min, 48.657 avg, 56.751 max (ms)
chi.speakeasy.net
Round-Trip: 33.553 min, 36.831 avg, 40.088 max (ms)
As you can see the ping times are decent, but sometimes I will see high latency and won't be able to play any games.

I am thankful that as of next week at this time I'll be sitting in my new house with my new 5/1 SLPPP DSL connection with teksavvy.com
It will be a welcome change to have a decent connection at my own house for a change...
/me hopes that the new house is close enough to the CO or a Remote for good line sync

OP
P

pjp

Registered
Yeah not finding any wireless ISPs.

What are decent sat providers in Canada (near Barrie)? Does the initial hardware still cost a mint? I know the ping wont be game-worthy but it is better than what we have now.