• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished my new WB!! (PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobn4burton

Registered
I just finished my new water block and put it in my system last night. So far I'm pretty impressed. I had a Maze3 previous to this block. With my new waterblock I'm getting about 1-2 degrees cooler than with my Maze3!! So it might not be quite like a Cather WW...but not too bad for my first block ever!:):)

I did this project with a friend and he made an exact replica of my block. He had a Koolance WB previous and he is getting about 5 degrees cooler with our new blocks!

Here are some pics...

The copper we started with. The two small, thinner pieces are for cold plates...(We're gonna TEC it up later this summer...)
wb1.jpg

This is during the milling process...The block is coming to life...:)
wb2.jpg

And here is the finished block...
wb3.jpg

OP
B

bobn4burton

Registered
We decided to put a plexi top on so we could see our hard work...
wb4.jpg

The block and top together...
wb5.jpg

The finished product...:)
wb6.jpg

And here it is nestled in my case...(I know the wires are a mess...I'll get to those in a few days)
wb7.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Korndog

OMG, I WANT IT!!!
did u mill it yourself or did u hire someone to do it??
plan on making more? selling maybe?? ;-)

OP
B

bobn4burton

Registered
Did it all myself...
Just drew it all up in MasterCam and milled that sucker out...:)
I used the mill at my University...(so it was FREE)

WejRepus

performance aside, that is definatley an amazing piece of work. very clean looking and good choice putting on a poly top.
i would recommend some UV dye to show off the block more in the dark

Korndog

i know this isn't on the topic, but which university do u go to?? are taking mec. eng., oh wait, is that your homework in the picture? electronic eng??
I hope calpoly has mills, i'll be making blocks all day.

OP
B

bobn4burton

Registered
haha...I got to Utah State University in Logan, UT...
I just finished my senior year in Electrical engineering and will finish my Masters next year...

It's always fun to have a little hobby on the side:)

OP
B

bobn4burton

Registered
It performs pretty good...
I mentioned that it gets about 1-2 C colder than a Maze3 and about 5 C colder than a Koolance 200g block.

I'm getting 33-34 idle temps with 39-40 Full load temps on an original IT7 with a 2.4b c1 overclocked to 3.0 Ghz

Super Nintendo

well again nice job with some nice temps. You could probably make some money off the block if you want and sell it to people on this forum. Only if you get enough people to want it.

OP
B

bobn4burton

Registered
I'd love to sell it...but don't know if it would be feasible...

It took 4.5 hours just to mill the copper block. The plexi was pretty easy. We milled the whole thing out with a 2mm endmill.

OP
B

bobn4burton

Registered
TyRex...good observation!
That's exactly what we designed it for!!:)
I'll be getting to the Pelt this summer