• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox has become unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Windows 10 Pro. This has just started happening in the last few days. Firefix pages slow down to a crawl when loading and then I get a message saying "Firefox has become unresponsive." Not happening with Chrome.

Anybody else having this problem?

Honestly, it amazes me how these browsers seem to take turns in developing problems. Makes me wonder if Microsoft purposely interjects some code into Windows now and then with updates that cause their browser competitors to stumble for awhile.

ninjacore

cause their browser competitors to stumble for awhile.

Microsoft has a browser? ;) ;) ;)

Check Firefox mem usage. Is it growing while idle? Maybe a leak in the latest build? (I don't see any recent google hits for one :shrug:)

knoober

I am experiencing similar with latest Firefox in Win7. Cant say for sure it is the same problem but sounds very similar. Very few browser crashes, and they arent predictable by page or load on the rig. It hasnt bothered me enough to investigate. AV says no virus' and it only happens some of the time, so I figure to live with it for now. If it gets worse I will switch browser :)

My point of course is that it may not be localized to Win10.

OP
trents

trents

I uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled Firefox and so far no problem. 44.0.2 build. Maybe there was a broken file in the original install.

satrow

All 44.+ versions on W7 have been buggy (bad memory allocation), failing to start, crashing, failing to close, 44.0.2 fixed most of them and the same fix was ported to the other versions that had also inherited that regression bug.

I guess that W8>10 handled the pre- crash scenario a little more gracefully is all.

i6pwr

Firefox for me was buggy when i upgraded to Win 10 this weekend, I just went to the Firefox site and downloaded the latest version for Win 10...no problems now.