• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewall Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dug

Just wanted to get some recommendations for a software based firewall. I am running Win2k. Hopefully, something not very bloated.

I use Zone Alarm Pro,I think it was 29.95 but it is a good upgrade from the free verzion.It stops everything:)

Guero said:
I like BlackIce Defender. It does not ask me a million questions and it seems to work well. ZoneAlarm slowed startup by 20 seconds.

But it's a much better firewall than Black Ice, I've seen tests against Black Ice and it stopped almost nothing. I'd seriously reconsider.

Smizack said:

But it's a much better firewall than Black Ice, I've seen tests against Black Ice and it stopped almost nothing. I'd seriously reconsider.

That's odd, I've been running Black Ice since it came out & in all the tests I've run against my own computer, I've never seen anything get through. I agree with Guero, the constant questions from ZoneAlarm drove me nuts. I'm still running Black Ice & would recommend it to anyone who asks, but I would also say that a router with built it firewall is the best 1st line of defense. The software solution is good for a 2nd line.

I ran Ad-Aware and did not find any spy-ware from BlackIce. I destroyed all the spyware from other programs.

I am behind a router with a firewall so BlackIce should be sufficient for what I need.

I have my linksys router that I use as a firewalll, Software firewalls are just a pain, goda keep changing settings and haveing to change settings to let each prog reach the net,
But if ya dont feel like buying hardware then ZoneAlarm is prob ur best bet.
Free version works fine...

This is for all who stated that a program has spyware. Could you please provide some kind of proof (link to article or proof). If it is just something you heard say that instead of saying it is without any backup. This forum is here so we can learn from each other and to do this we need as much info as we can get. A link to anything backing up your statements would be greatly apreciated by me and anyone who uses the two programs that have been acused of containing spyware. Thank you for your time.

Edit: I almost forgot I use Zone Alarm and like it a lot. the only time it asks you is when the program first tries to access the network or internet. Then you decide if you want it to and set it. that is it. Really simple if you ask me. I am also behind a liksys but when I first built my system I was without it for a couple of months and Zone Alarm served me well.

ColdMiser said:
It is ZoneAlarm that contains spyware, not Blackice.

that's utter crap
BlackIce contains the spyware from the 100 articles i've read.

try running Zonealarm and BlackIce at the same time and look at the alerts Zonealarm gives you.
With adaware you will not find spyware from BlackIce, because BlackIce sends information back to their servers. adaware is not invinsible.

Anyway BlackICE Defender is an Intrusion Detection and Blocking System. It is not a firewall, it does NOT stop trojans. Zonealarm is a Firewall.

oh yeah it also fails the leak test: http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-352108-1204-6686415.html - Zonealarm gets the editors choice as the best firewall, and its FREE

Last edited:
check Zone Alarm

I use Zone Alarm Pro and Nortons Works. It's easy to check
Zone Alarm. Go to Nortons site and they have a check to tell
if they can get into any ports. Nortons has been unable to get into my system. IMO if Nortons can't get in my system, I'm in good shape. If you use another firewall, go to Zone Alarm and Nortons
web site, and use there free tests and see if they can get in any
ports. Mull

Thank you for your recommendations.

I will probably select ZoneAlarm.

BTW I am using this with a hardware NAT firewall

ColdMiser said:
It is ZoneAlarm that contains spyware, not Blackice.

Ok. Lay down the crack pipe, and step away from it!:p j/k

But seriously, ZA does NOT contain Spyware. I don't have that website anymore, but a person made one about being attacked and he tested B.I. & Z.A. and Black Ice blocked almost nothing. And he couldn't get past Zone Alarm.

Just telling you what I've read.

Back