• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewire HD on Server 2003.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtnbikerjerry

Hello everyone,

I have a BUSLINK Firewire HD on my WIndows 2003 Server machine. I have my computer configured in dualboot mode with XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server.

My firewire adapter card is recognized and works fine on both XP and Server 2003, but my BUSLINK firewire Drive is only recognized on my XP Professional. In the device manager for Server 2003, it does see the HD as a SPB2 Device as well as the OCHI firewire adapter card.

I have searched everywhere and tried everything to have the Firewire HD Recognized under Windows 2003. Lastly, when I bring up Disk Manager under Computer Management, it shows my partitionslisted as RAW data for Windows 2003 Server instead of my NTFS partitions that I can see on XP Professional. No additional partitions are recognized with my Buslink HD under Windows 2003 Server, yet within XP and even Windows 2000 Professional my partitions on my Firewire HD are visible.

I have checked Buslinks's website, the manufacturer of the adapter card and Microsoft technet/Knowledge base, and so far no success.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would imagine that there's no official support for your drive yet. You have to remember, that while Win2k3 Server is based on NT5 technology, it's still a very different OS from Win2k/WinXP.

In time, I'm sure that new drivers will be released, or an SP will fix the problem, but until then, I'm pretty sure you'll just have to deal .

I have somebody that I already know that works at Buslink up in Baldwin Park, CA, and this person said they are investigating the problem.

USB 2.0 seems to be the direction they are going, but Buslink has to realize there are still many Firewire products out there. (Mac Users, Digital Video Camera users)

A person on Anandtech said that I should "initialize" my drive, but this does not work.

But yes I can deal with this issue for a bit.... : (. Regardless, I am happy though for just today, for I recieved my Abit BE-6II's and Sa6R motherboards back with the new capacitors that hopefully won't decay or explode.

Person below said to me on Anandtech:

Lord Evermore
Elite Member

05/27/2003 3:30 AM (NEW!)

As long as it shows as an SPB2 Device it will work. Win2k3 apparently just isn't reading the manufacturer label, which may be a bug or just a driver immaturity thing.

You may need to initialize the drive while in Win2k3. Right click the disk (not the partition area, the disk2 or whatever title) and see what options there are.

Last edited:
Back