• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

firewire to firewire link?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Is it possible to get a simple firewire cable that connects to each pc and transfers data?

I want to do this because large file transfers are taking to long through the 10/100 LAN and ADSL router they are networked together with.

DaBigJ

Using "400" mbps firewire between two of my computers, i can get about 120 mbps throughput. So you can see that it's definitely better than the 80 or so you can get out of 100 mb ethernet, but not much....

One end is using my Audigy 2 ZS sound card, the other is onboard firewire.

OP
M

microfire

so, its hardly worth it, if at all.

You think I should just keep using my LAN through router

mtnbikerjerry

Well,

120Mb/sec over 80Mb/sec, if you are transfering DVD size data from one machine can benefit over a long period of time.

The nearest thing without having to invest in Gigabit E cards and Switches.

OP
M

microfire

ok i might go for it since its there, a firewire cable would only be about $10 bucks right?

how will it work into my network that all ready there? both computers will be still connected to the router. how will the data when harddrive transfers occur know to use the fire wire?