• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewire vs 100TX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

Seeing how Firewire is 400mbps and a standard network is 100mbps, I thought I would ask. Came to mind because I was thinking of centralizing my data on a server, and I will be doing some video capture and editing (on different machines). But the question of performance over my network became a concern. How well would networking with Firewire work? I still plan on using my normal network for internet, and communication to the rest of my network, but for transfering files between my 4 'main' machines, I thought a link like that would be better. Is it possible to use standard windows networking over Firewire? How would I make sure data is transfered over that link and not the network? Is hard drive speed a bottle neck even at 100mbps speed? If anyone has some links or tips on the subject I would appreciate it! Thanks!

-Rav

tsintse

Firewire works great for network media on more modern systems that have good support for it. The only drawback I have really found is that few network devices come with the ports and the cables are fairly expensive when compared to Cat5e.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I personally have tried filesharing over Cat5/6, Serial, USB1.1, USB 2.0 (not firewire yet) but in every case Cat5/6 was far superior in speeds to anything else (with or without direct cable connections) like, 10 fold. But who knows /maybe/ firewire fixed that.....but I doubt it

touser

Firewire would definately be faster as i have tried it between my desktop and laptop and it was very fast. But networking several computers with it would be very expensive if you where going farther then a few feet. Have you considered a Gigabit network? It is faster then firewire but i do not know about the cost.