• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First/Best 4K Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokrunka

I'm thinking about picking up my first 4K monitor. Right now, I have a Dell 3007WP (30", 2560*1600), so I don't want to go any smaller on screen size, unless someone has a really compelling reason to do so.

I'd like to hear everyone's suggestions on what the good ones are out there right now.

I've been eyeing the UP3214Q from Dell, a 31.5" 4K monitor, which seems to be on sale for around $800 right now. I see also that Acer has an offering in this size as well.

What is everyone using for 4K these days (sitting at a desk, anyway)?

OP
mokrunka

mokrunka

It is expensive, but I don't see much else in that size that is less money. And since I've had this Dell 3007WP for nearly a decade (actually 2 of them!), I'm kind of partial to their product, from a reliability and design POV.

28"... hmmm, I would need to go put my eyes on one of these in the store to see if I could deal with that.

Also, forgot to mention that the main application for the monitor would be gaming. Not sure if that changes things.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
We have a few users that really like the seiki monitors, I believe one is nihaomike

TechWizard

If the main thing you're using it for is gaming I'd just like to point out that it'll be hard to find a 4k monitor above 60Hz. That's my current dilemma, I'm looking for 120Hz+.

So if you're looking for something above 60Hz you'll be waiting like the rest of us for the higher refresh rates to come out.

OP
mokrunka

mokrunka

It is mostly for gaming, but I'm not a refresh rate snob yet :):chair: hahaha, just kidding.

I went ahead and picked up a Seiki 32" 4K that should be here tomorrow. I will let everyone know what I think!

OP
mokrunka

mokrunka

Oooook, update after my first 24 hrs with the monitor.

First of all, gaming in 4K is freaking awesome! I was at 2560x1600 before, which I thought was cool, but this totally blows it out of the water. I have played some BF4 and Doom, both of which run fantastic at 60 fps+ with maximum settings at 4K.

I will say that for the price, the monitor performs well. I do have a couple of issues though: 1) The enclosure design is cheap. The plastic is not 'heavy-duty' and seems to be not completely held to the monitor frame in a very snug way. The Dell 3007WP it replaced just seemed more robust, and didn't feel like it was going to fall apart when I picked it up. 2) It takes a bit to turn on; maybe 5-7 seconds from pressing the power button to actual usability. 3) This may not be a monitor issue, but I have noticed that certain applications are more crisp and clear than others. For example, chrome seems to be a bit fuzzy, which is I guess due to it's own scaling or something so the font isn't tiny. MS Word and native windows in Win 10 are crystal clear though.

All in all, I'd say it's worth the $500 I paid for it. Thank you all for your help, and for saving me some $$$