• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build Complete - Screens Freeze, Manual Shutdown Required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8dogg59

Registered
Hi everyone. I completed my first build a couple days ago. Yesterday after about 1-1.5 hours of use my three monitors would freeze, no mouse or keyboard usage, so I had to hold down the power button to shut down then restart. This happened twice. I thought it might be a graphics card driver issue so I completely uninstalled then reinstalled the graphics card driver. This worked the rest of yesterday and today until about an hour ago.

Last night and this morning I ran a couple memory stability tests that passed. I ran Unigine Heaven stress test on the gpu with no issues and an average of 60.7 fps and 1528 score. The problem occurred when I ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. After about 4 minutes my three monitors froze again and I had to manually shut down. I don't think it was a temp issue. I had Camwebapp running at the same time and the temp didn't get above 50 degrees.

Any help, opinions, instructions, advice would be appreciated. I don't know a ton about what I'm doing so try and keep that in mind when explaining things. My system info is below. Thanks in advance for any help. I really really appreciate it.

CPU - Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard - Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory - G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage - Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card - EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case - Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System - Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Plz download
CPUz and post screen shots of the main / memory /spd tabs.
Then using coretemp/hwinfo stress the system (aida64 will work fine) Post SS (if it last long enough )

Are you sure the Heatsink (stock im guessing) is on all the way push pins are in and turned ?
did you enable XMP for your ram in bios ?

Did you install any software that may be overclocking the system or did you enable automatic overclocking in the bios?

Why were you running Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? What were you trying to accomplish with that? Stress testing? Temp monitoring? Overclocking?

Last edited:
Plz download
Then using coretemp/hwinfo stress the system (aida64 will work fine) Post SS (if it last long enough )

Are you sure the Heatsink (stock im guessing) is on all the way push pins are in and turned ?

THIS ^^^^^^^^ please
you may have a bit of vcore sag.

Just a quick note. I did realize that I was using the power cable from my old dell xps 8300 and not the one that came with the new psu. I switched that out and ran the Unigine Heaven again and it didn't crash this time. No idea if that could have anything to do with the problem but thought I would mention it. Answers to the others posts are coming shortly.

Plz download

I'm pretty sure I installed the heatsink correctly. All four corners clicked when I pushed them down. There was nothing to turn. I did not manual enable XMP in the BIOS and I'm not sure how to check that. The only thing I changed in the BIOS was the memory that was showing up at 2133 to 2400 which is what they are.

All the screens froze again when running the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and then froze again after I rebooted. I took a screen shot of the Core Temp when it froze. All the pics from the CPUz and the Core Temp are below.
IMG_5376.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG
IMG_5379.JPG
IMG_5380.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Did you install any software that may be overclocking the system or did you enable automatic overclocking in the bios?

I didn't do anything with overclocking in the BIOS and I don't run any programs that would require that. The only thing I run is a Thinkorswim trading platform and Chrome pretty much.

- - - Updated - - -

Why were you running Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? What were you trying to accomplish with that? Stress testing? Temp monitoring? Overclocking?

I wanted to run just a handful of test to make sure everything was working right. I ran two to test the memory, one to test the gpu, and one to test everything. I wanted to see it pass and check the temps. I have no plans on overclocking anything.

Plz download

I ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility again and had the CPUz running at the same time and the Core Voltage got up to 1.008 during the test before the screens froze and rebooted. This time the PC rebooted on its own.

Do you have any TIM? If so I would pull the hsf and check the spread to see if you had good contact.

Do you have any spare parts you can swap in ? And remove any non needed parts like your storage drive.
Do you have a meter that you can check the voltage of the PSU ?
Is it the newest bios ?
One stick of ram.

When you said you changed the ram speed from 2133 how did you do that?
Look for a xmp setting in your bios (hit del when the PC first turns on).

I would start by clearing the CMOS to reset your bios and then try running everything at stock settings to see if the same problem exists. By turning up the speed of your RAM you have begun the process of overclocking it. The standard speed of your RAM is 2133. To run it at 2400 you need to enable the xmp profile which is an automatic overclocking of the RAM that also changes voltages and RAM latencies. By just turning the speed up the timings and voltages are possibly not set correctly.

So to summarize

Hey guys. I feel a little ashamed I forgot about this so please don't get pissed, this is my first build, but when I went into the BIOS to look at the settings that you mentioned I realized that I never updated BIOS at all. I remember reading not to update if nothing is wrong and then I forgot about it when something was wrong. I did update to the current version now and then ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and had no issues of freezing and restarting. Hopefully this was all that was needed. I also didn't change anything on the memory settings in the new updated BIOS and kept how they were originally. When I changed them the first time I did so by the Extreme Memory Profile (XMP). The default setting is "Disabled" and when I changed that to "Profile 1" the memory changed to 2400. I thought this was ok since the memory I bought was 2400 but maybe I should just keep it at 2133. Please let me know if you think I should leave that setting at Disabled and 2133 or change it. Lochekey, hopefully this isn't asking what you already answered but you mentioned the standard speed of my memory is 2133 and I thought maybe you didn't realize it is 2400 or maybe it's maxed at 2400 and should run at 2133. If you can tell I'm still trying to learn a lot.

Ok so all DDR4 has a standard spec of 2133. XMP is the verified speed that particular set of ram is garunteed to run at by the manufacturer. You should be able to enable XMP on your system without any problems as the XMP profile on the ram sticks will tell the motherboard how to set the voltages and timings.

Concerning my earlier post I was under the assumption that you manually set a speed of 2400mhz instead of enabling the XMP feature since you mentioned that you set that speed but did not enable XMP. Enabling XMP should not cause any problems in a normal system unless you are trying to run something like a 4000+ mhz kit.

If it is now working with the new bios I would chalk it up to a wierd quirk and just run the system as is now. You should enable XMP and test it again. If it has more issues after enabling XMP let us know and we can go from there as you may then have a problem with the RAM kit and that can be tested individually.

Thank you all so much for the help! I love this forum. Helped me pick the parts, assemble the computer, and troubleshoot. If any else comes up I'll be back but hopefully the BIOS update was all that was needed.

Back