• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build - Couple questions - Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8dogg59

Registered
I’m looking to build my first pc and I’ve done a ton of reading/research over the past couple weeks but still have a few basic questions before I get started. After many hours reading through posts on this forum (and a couple others) it seems like you guys are the most helpful and knowledgeable forum I could find.

Here’s a quick explanation of my situation to start and I’ll try to keep it as short as possible. I’ve never built a computer and know very little. I day trade at home for a living and purchased a Dell XPS 8300 three years ago and run three monitors. During the day I’ll have my trading platform running along with browsing internet and watching movies during slow times. Recently I’ve had issues where my trading platform crashes and the solution to this would be to add another graphics card except after a lot of research I’ve found that is not possible with the xps 8300 because the case is too small along with a power supply that isn’t adequate. I’d like to build a computer but the budget is not very large so I’m looking to do it as inexpensive as possible and then upgrade over time. The two questions I have are below and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

1) Can I reuse any of my current hardware in the new build to save money? I was thinking the memory, processor, hard drive, dvd player? I’ve listed all the hardware below if that helps.
2) When picking parts is there a correct order and can I buy things when I see a good deal? For example, should I start with motherboard then find a case that fits or vice versa. Any insight helps me.

CPU – Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors
Memory – 8 GB, DDR3, Channel # Dual, It looks like the memory is 4-2GB cards,
HDD – Model# ST31500341AS, 1 TB
DVD – PLDS DVD + -RW DH-16ABS, Manufacturer just says (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Motherboard – Dell, Model 0Y2MRG, Chipset – Intel Sandy Bridge Rev. 09, Southbridge – Intel H67 Rev. B3

You can save nearly everything honestly.... Just get a new case, power supply, and motherboard if you want to run multiple GPUs. Or get a single GPU that can handle three montiors (most).

Just get a B67/B77 based motherboard (no point in anything better since the CPU cannot overclock), a quality Power Supply, and a case of your choice (just make sure it fits the motherboard, which will likely be ATX size).

Just remember that motherboards have standard sizes.. ITX/mATX/ATX-eATX, etc...

Thanks so much for the quick reply. What does the B67/B77 stand for? Is that the type of motherboard that works with the intel core i7-2600 3.4 GHz?

That is the chipset of the motherboard that would be compatible with your CPU.

Sorry, H67 is what you would want... its been a while so I forgot what the non overclocking platform naming was. :)

Have you ever reformatted and reinstalled Windows on that machine? The fact that it's a recent issue seems to suggest that you may have contracted some sort of malware/virus, or that the system is just starting to degrade. This is actually pretty common for Windows.

Hardware wise, you have a pretty solid system there (minus the questionable quality of the PSU and the likely-Foxconn motherboard). I honestly don't think you have a hardware issue here.

Never reinstalled Windows. I run CCleaner and SuperAntispyware frequently to try and keep things clean. As I mentioned in the opening post I really don't know a lot about computers so forgive any dumb questions that follow but when you say the system could be starting to degrade what exactly does that mean? Are you referring to hardware components or software? The reason I believe that a new graphics card is needed is because the tech support people at Thinkorswim, the trading platform I use, told me that was the problem so I'm kind of counting on them to be correct. They said something along the lines of me needing a stand alone graphics card with 2 MB memory because running three monitors with lots of charts is requiring more than my card can handle and when the platform/monitors don't get what they need the platform will shutdown/need to be restarted. They said my current graphics card is hooked up to my cpu and that will not work. They made it sound like other people have the exact same issue. He went to my system rating and it is 5.9 and he said a separate graphics would get it up closer to 8 and solve the problem. Sorry if some of that doesn't make sense, just trying to pass along what I was told.

Software. Windows is software. And after a while, antispyware or not, it tends to get bloated and some things may be missed by antivirus/spyware applications.

I wouldn't count on your trading platforms IT to be correct. They may be, but I don't go to my mechanic and expect him to bake great cookies. :p

I believe you are using your onboard gpu not a discrete card. You can increase the memory it can access. To see if they are correct, you should be able to go into your bios and add more to the graphics card (and I have no idea where that would be found, you have to look).

I know that in the past when I've used on board video, almost all but system reserved memory could be used.

As ED said, they might be right, but that's money you'd be spending for what very well might be free to fix.

Are you running Windows 7 or 8/8.1? I'm guessing (judging by the timeframe) 8.1, which is very easy to reinstall. You can probably just do a factory reset, even.

I think that there is the max amount of memory being given to the graphics card. From what I can tell it's set at 4095 mb and the total memory I have is 8 GB. Dlaw, right now I have Windows 7. Definitely going to try to reinstall and see if that fixes it. Thank you guys so much for the help.

4GB should be plenty for simple 2D stuff on 3 monitors. Many 3D games don't use 4GB of memory...

Back