• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build: Family desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Giraffe Man

Part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y2xjYJ

I've been researching this topic for about two weeks now and have been slowly improving my build. I feel I am now at the point where this is something I'd like to order. I've always wanted to build a computer and taking apart my old desktop was awesome! I'm not confident I can build one yet, although this case is apparently tool free (?). So I have some time to keep improving the build if that is possible.

My mother and sister would like to get back into taking pictures and editing them, so the rig will be running Photoshop fairly often while multi-tasking. I want to stream high quality videos with a (2k) 2560 x 1440 @ 1440p with no buffering and amazing picture. I also will be gaming at some point during this computer's life, so I want to be able to game on High settings @ 60 FPS for some games. I'm not too crazy about spending a ton of money to play ridiculously GPU intensive titles @ 60fps.

What do you guys think? I even went for a nice black/red color scheme. I think it'll look badass, but will it perform well too?

And please do not comment on the optical drive. I am buying one, and that is all there is to discuss about that.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
the only change I see would be to a dell ultra sharp monitor, I have 4 and they are sweet, even make your mother inlaw look good.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Looks good to me...

While there arent many performance improvements that will come from this, I would upgrade the ram to DDR4 2800-3000 MHz CL14/15. Its a personal thing for me, but 2133 is DDR3 speeds, but you have DDR4 latency. Go faster. :)

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Looks good to me.

The only tweaks I would suggest:

1. You won't need 8 GB of video memory for what you are going to do. You might be able to save a few $$ by getting a graphics card with 6 GB, or 4 GB.

2. You have a 256 GB SSD, and a 1 TB HDD spinner. You should consider getting a 1 TB SSD...the price on these have come way down, and you can use the $$ you save in #1 to invest in the 1 TB SSD.

3. If (2) isn't an option, I'd consider increasing the SSD to 512 GB. Not that much more $$.

One thing I didn't see is extra fans for CPU cooler. I think that the CPU you chose comes with an Intel cooler (which will be fine)...just make sure you are ordering the correct part which has the included Intel cooler. The Intel coolers come with heat sink compound already applied, so you have to get your mount correct the first time. If you have never mounted a CPU cooler before, I'd recommend also getting a tube of TIM (Thermal Interface Material)...Artic Silver is what I use.

The fans that come with the case may be enough to keep it cool, but check out our other threads if your PC is running warm.

Good Luck!

bob4933

Looks good to me.

The only tweaks I would suggest:

1. You won't need 8 GB of video memory for what you are going to do. You might be able to save a few $$ by getting a graphics card with 6 GB, or 4 GB.

2. You have a 256 GB SSD, and a 1 TB HDD spinner. You should consider getting a 1 TB SSD...the price on these have come way down, and you can use the $$ you save in #1 to invest in the 1 TB SSD.

3. If (2) isn't an option, I'd consider increasing the SSD to 512 GB. Not that much more $$.

One thing I didn't see is extra fans for CPU cooler. I think that the CPU you chose comes with an Intel cooler (which will be fine)...just make sure you are ordering the correct part which has the included Intel cooler. The Intel coolers come with heat sink compound already applied, so you have to get your mount correct the first time. If you have never mounted a CPU cooler before, I'd recommend also getting a tube of TIM (Thermal Interface Material)...Artic Silver is what I use.

The fans that come with the case may be enough to keep it cool, but check out our other threads if your PC is running warm.

Good Luck!

390's only come with 8gb. They are also pretty cheap. The only comparable gpu in that price range is the 970, and considering he has a 2k monitor, I would say he's better off with the 390 anyway.
1 tb drives are still $200+... I dont disagree with getting a ~500 gb though. Those arent much more now.

@op ->

depending on uses, I would say consider the gtx 960 4gb as well. You say "gaming" but that can literally be anything at this point. That case is also quite awful haha, but thats more subjective.

For your money, I would personally be going this route.. literally everything is better, and it comes out cheaper (Somehow?) too... (even threw a good mouse in there too)
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RzVQCJ

(Edit : wrong ssd!)

Last edited: