• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, first fail.. PWM pump runs at 100%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mak150

Hello everyone!

So this is my first watercooling build, ordered this pump combo https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

I set it all up, had a few things I didn't consider, a right angle and barbe fitting for the radiators etc.

Anyway, got it all setup, set the pumps PWN connector to the motherboards CPU fan header. Upon turning it on, I noticed the pump ran at 100% use. filled the entire system, ran it for a few minutes. Nothing.

I switched the connectors around, tried a few different headers. But every restart yielded the same result, it simply wont regulate the speed.

What can be done here? Is the pump faulty? Its quite loud :(

I just saw one of my fittings leaked, I will check back in a bit.

I'm pretty certain the Molex connector is for leaking testing, it runs your pump at 100%. Only the PWM connector should be connected if you want to control the speed. Should be in the manual for the pump.

I'm pretty certain the Molex connector is for leaking testing, it runs your pump at 100%. Only the PWM connector should be connected if you want to control the speed. Should be in the manual for the pump.

I dont think so, the molex only has a red and black wire on it, they're pretty thick indicating main power comes from that.

The fan connector on the other hand, does not receive power from the mobo it seems.

Leak was caused by a too small tube being used coming off the cpu, replaced with one slightly longer and that sorted it.

This is from ek's site:
Default behavior: Runs at 100% duty cycle when no PWM feedback signal is present

Looks like its not sensing the PWM signal.

This is from ek's site:
Default behavior: Runs at 100% duty cycle when no PWM feedback signal is present

Looks like its not sensing the PWM signal.

Must be a broken pump then, as I connected a couple of fans to the same header afterwards, that ran at 800 RPM after it booted.

Case closed. I updated bios to latest version, made sure all fans was set to PWM and it worked.

This is incorrect. The Molex is for power and the 4-pin is for read out and PWM for control.

OP, make sure you do a leak test before firing it up! You're lucky you haven't blown anything while finding a leaked fitting.

This is incorrect. The Molex is for power and the 4-pin is for read out and PWM for control.

OP, make sure you do a leak test before firing it up! You're lucky you haven't blown anything while finding a leaked fitting.

Yeah, I read it wrong. Looks like Molex is for constant power, while the PWM is what regulates the flow. With no PWM input, it defaults to 100%.

It turned out, that while flitting with the new radiator at the top, I made the hose from the CPU to the radiator a bit too short.

I made a new one, and it gave a much nicer bend and fixed the leak :D

Glad I used the toilet paper method to check for drips haha.

After the switch I ran it for 24 hours, and its all good!

Back