• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build - Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vorped

Registered
Hey there :D. I am a first-time computer builder, but I have a pretty good understanding of everything (moderately high). I wanted something for roughly $1500 or less. So, I have a few questions.

#1 I'm assuming that Xp is the way to go for now, right? Have media center atm.
#2 Is my choice that I shouldn't jump to 64-bit yet ok? Ram-wise, will 32 bit be able to get by with 2 gb on the GeForce 9 series in February, and still be able to take full advantage of the latest games?
#3 I plan to do a moderate overclock. My hardware would be able to support this nicely, right?
#4 I'm assuming that the hardware would work together.. are there any obvious mistakes with the set up?
#5 Any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for your advice. :)

Oh, btw, I'm getting everything from Newegg.

Future Rig:

Case:
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W

Power Supply
Price: $379.99 ($80 MIR)
Shipping: Free

140 mm fans:
AeroCool Streamliner-Silver 140mm Blue LED Case Fan [x4]
Total Price: $51.96

120 mm fans:
Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue LED Case Fan [x3]
Total Price: $38.97

Motherboard:
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Price: $179.99 ($30 MIR)

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Price: $279.99

Memory:
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
Price: $69.99
Shipping: $4.99

Hard Drive: Have one in old computer atm upgrading when I can afford it: see upgrade section.

HDD Silencer:
SilenX LX-HDSS Aluminum, Steel HDD Silencer
Price: $26.99
Shipping: $5.84

Video Card:
EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI
Price: $359.99
Shipping: $6.33

ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X

CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail:
Price: $37.99
Shipping: $6.33

Mouse, Keyboard, Screen: Have them right now, upgrading when I can.

--------Future Upgrades-------
Hard Drive:
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Price: $169.99

Oh yeah, and do I need a cpu fan for a moderate overclock (don't forget about all the other fans though)?

:welcome:

I'd say you've done your research. ^^

Is my choice that I shouldn't jump to 64-bit yet ok? Ram-wise, will 32 bit be able to get by with 2 gb on the GeForce 9 series in February, and still be able to take full advantage of the latest games?

It's a fine choice so long as you're sticking with the lighter memory XP. If you switch to Vista in the future, 4GB would be more appropriate for gaming. But you can always upgrade then.

You will also need a non-stock cooler for your Q6600. This will run you an extra $30-60 for decent aircooling.

I would suggest saving a bit of money on the fans by purchasing from Jab-tech.com for your cooling needs.

That's all for the moment. I think there's a bit of other room for improvement, but again... I really think you did your research well for a first time builder.

EDIT: OH! And switch your DVD drive to the Samsung SH-S203B.

Thanks! :) I noticed that while jab-tech had fairly good prices, the 140mm fans were actually more expensive there.

I still don't know if I should save some money by switching to Apevia CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fans (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998121). Anyone know how loud they are, and how much air they move?
For the cpu cooler, I think ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler looks good, huh? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134) Does it seriously not support quad? Specs say:
All Intel Celeron (Socket 775)
All Intel Pentium 4 (Socket 775)
All Intel Pentium D
All Intel Core 2 Duo
Core 2 Extreme Quad

-Vorped
Oh yeah, and may I ask why the dvd drive switch?

Thanks. Going to get the Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B 6 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler. Also wondering if anyone knew why Sederien recommended the drive switch. Anyways, will this computer be able to play games like Crysis?

Case:
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W

Power Supply
Price: $379.99 ($80 MIR)

Are the case and power supply a bundled package? If yes, I would not recommend this. With the trivial amount of money you'll save from buying that case with a bundled PSU, you're better off getting a separate more reputable PSU.

Also, I just built a rig and used that case, it's really nice! The CPU and System temps are actually LOWER with the case on! :D

Be sure to outfit your case with the optional 120mm fans you can equip on the side rack.

Also, may I ask why you picked up the 8800GTS? Have you considered an 8800GT instead?

Thanks. I was a bit weary about the PSU but I think it would be better to go and buy a separate one. Does 750W or so seem pretty future-proof? And yeah, getting 4 140 mm led fans for the side rack. Also, going to go with a 3 monitor display eventually, anyone know a good monitor to be the main one to start out with (the middle of the 3)?

hey, :welcome:.

why a 1000W psu? that's insane overkill unless you plan on like 10 drives and 2-3 video cards. if staying with one card and multiple drives, look for something reliable in the 500-600W range. seasonic, silverstone, corsair, pc power and cooling, high-end rosewill, high-end thermaltake. jonnyguru.com has great reviews.

sederian always recommends that drive. it's apparently one of the best / most consistent for not a bad price. i have no experience with it but also no reason not to believe him.

you mentioned the 9 series cards coming in feb.... do you plan to get one upon release? if so, the 8800gts is probably overkill for a placeholder. consider the 8800gt for $100 less. it's still sweet.

Hey :). Yeah you're right, was trying to make the system future-proof, guess it was overkill :p. I decided to get a 700W PSU because (a) it was on sale and (b) it had great reviews. OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002 Look good?

And about the gts, It was pretty much a down-payment because I was planning on using the evga step-up program, and I was going to prolly shell out $550 for 9 series, so yeah.

Could you recommend a good "starting" monitor that I could use (planning on upgrading to a 3-screen system later on). Btw, I want to buy the monitor from a local store, so I can check to see if there are any dead pixels or not :p

ahhhh, the step up program. forgot about that. okay, you're good in the video section.

ocz psu's are good but i've heard of some bad units.

one of these bad mamma-jammas should do you well and be good for sli if you so desire in the future (which would require a board change fyi).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&Tpk=550vx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
sorry for being a corsair wh*re. they're great for the price in the performance range though.

haha it's ok :). I guess I'll go with the 620W.. Looks like there are some good reviews. You're right, I don't need a powerhouse. So are three monitors a good idea these days?

haha it's ok :). I guess I'll go with the 620W.. Looks like there are some good reviews. You're right, I don't need a powerhouse. So are three monitors a good idea these days?

You want to run three monitors from one PC? Most likely you'll need 2 graphics cards then.

I used to run three monitors off of one rig - one crappy video card and one decent one. Frankly, two large monitors is quite enough space and three was really not necessary. You can always minimize ;)

Also, I don't think dual monitors off of video cards used in SLI is possible (again, as already mentioned you'll have to change your mobo if you want SLI). I may be mistaken on this though...

well you could get a Matrox Triplehead box, then you only need one video card.

140mm fans? Are you sure that case holds 140 mm fans? I thought the maximum was 120mm fans. You may want to check on that...

Actually, 140 mm fans are supported on the side rack (left window). You can check the specs on newegg to be sure :). And for the triple monitors, I just really wanted to be "immersed" in the picture.. two monitors would be good, but I like odd numbers better (lol). I planned on eventually stretching the picture across all three screens, so it's like ultrawidescreen, and immersing. So if I buy the matrox, would I get worse framerates? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject lol.

Actually, I found out that the 140mm fan capability was not listed on newegg, but it was listed on the reviews on newegg, and the cooler master website. Oh, and I saw that the matrox would basically take a 3840 x 1024 resolution, and split it into 3 1280 x 1024 screens. So how would 3840 x 1024 perform in games? Would it be very taxing? Anyone have experience with the box?

Back