• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, Some ?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottinIndy

In a few weeks it looks like I will be taking on my first build. I have a few questions and would really appreciate any advice/input.
First, The budget, $1200-1400, Out of that I want to get a 17" or if possible 19" lcd, Also I am currently planning on a 6800gs for the video card.
Some ideas I have been bouncing around

Case= Antec p-180--Probably overkill for my needs, However I do like the look.
Processor- 3800x2 or possibly 4200x2 if budget allows. Also will probably run processor at stock speed the majority of the time, However I do like to tinker so from time to time some O.C.ing will be done. Am currently thinking of freezer 64 pro for the CPU cooling.
Motherboard- Really no idea, Computer will be used by me and my wife, Must be stable, Yet, Still allow me to tinker from time to time with O.C.ing. Sli not needed. Moderate gamer, So I don't need the latest greatest in video cards. ( Hence the 6800gs) I have a 6800gt in my H.P. agp, And it plays all the games I play very well. My wife is an everquest junkie and the 6800gs is more than enough for that game.

PSU, Currently using Fortron Ax500a in this computer, Love it, However not sure if another bluestorm is the answer for the new rig.

Ram- Honestly open to any and all suggestions.

Harddrive, No raid, So I will probably just look for the best deal at the time in regard to approx 200/250 gb H.D. Same with Dvd burner

Also here is a bit of a twist as far as getting an operating system, Last year at Christmas I got a full version of windows xp for our old Pentium 3 hp computer. Well we installed it, And frankly the computer wouldn't fuction very well with XP. Pulled it after a few days and reinstalled windows Me. So basically the version of Xp I got last christmas was only used a couple of days and hasn't been used since, Will Microsoft let me use that copy of windows in the new build, Or am I just S.O.L., I believe the wife registerd the copy of XP when it was installed in the old computer.
Another question, As far as getting the parts, I have used Newegg quite a bit, However I don't want to pay 10 different shipping prices, Will they combine when ordering an entire system. Or since I live in Indy, We have a Frys here in town, Would it be better to buy most of the parts there. I guess the real question with Fry's is how are they as far as customer service in case I have any problems with parts, I know Newegg is stellar in that regard.
Eventually I will also add soundcard and possibly logitech or klipsch 5.1, Although they are not a neccisity at this point in time, I am using a the logitech 2.1 on this computer with a Chaintech av510 soundcard and that could be used in the new rig until I am ready to pull the trigger on an upgrade.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any input will truly be appreciated!

Newegg does combine their prices on prices, and it is definitely better to order from them than your local computer store. Unless of course they have super cheap prices. Here's what I would do:

Motherboard - EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra
Processor - AMD X2 3800+
Graphics Card - eVGA 6800GS
Memory - G.Skill 2x1GB Kit
Hard Drive - Maxtor Diamondmax Ten 200GB (16MB Cache)
Case - Coolermaster Centurion 5
Power Supply - Seasonic 430w S-12
Monitor - 17'' Viewsonic Monitor

Total = About $1282.73

The motherboard is nice and stable, but you'll like that it has option for you so you can mess around with.

Since you are only a moderate gamer - I think you will appreciate the quietness of the Centurion 5 and the Seasonic power supply. The reason I linked the power supply outside Newegg is because they have them $20 cheaper, but Newegg has them too.

Thank you for the input, Some excellent ideas. The hardrive should supply ample room for video files, The wife and her sister will be doing quite a bit of video editing on the computer, That is why I am leaning towards the x2 on the processor. Thanks for the input.

You may want to consider the Opteron 165 as well. It has a larger cache and will most likely OC better. The board is excellent, it is very stable yet when I finally decide to learn how to OC it wont be hard. (I have went in to it before and looked around its ver simple) The PSU should do well but if you have money left over you may want to consider the Bluestorm for this build as well. Also the case is excellent. The fron bezel is great for cooling and looks nice, and it is quite quiet. Also plenty of room and a snap to set up. I used it for my first build as well as the board, and the PSU.

As for the Windows question, you'll have no problem using that copy of XP on the new computer, since it's the full retail version and not the OEM version. Also, nice avatar :thup: *is also from indy*

The opty 165 sounds like a nice idea. Any issue's in regard to motherboard or ram compatibility with the opty instead of x2?
Glad to hear I shouldn't have any issue's using the windows xp I have with a new system, I know my aunt paid quite a bit for the retail version last Christmas. Only getting to use it a couple of days would have been a huge waste.
One other thing, As far as case and motherboard, I will need to use at least 4 usb connections. Mouse, Wacomm, Printer and PSC are all going to be connected via usb. I could always switch the printer/PSC plug out, The wife uses the PSC for editing pictures, Etc and I like the speed of my printer so both will be used.
Again, Thanks to all for sharing your input.

Back