• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First impression of DFI 865PE Infinity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Citation4444

Registered
I finally got around to overclocking my 865PE Infinity that I bought from Angry_Games. When you see the results you will understand why I am amazed with this board.
I highly recommend this board. It will run my 2.4C at 270MHz (3240 MHz), with 1G DDR500 ADATA ram at 1:1 in dual mode. It is stable on Prime 95 and completes 3DMark2001SE just fine. The memory bandwidth is really good too. These results are better than my LanParty Pro 875 (which got to 265MHz), which costs a lot more. Here are some screenshots:

First CPUZ shots
270CPU.jpg

270Mem.jpg

Here are the memory bandwidths, first unbuffered
270Unbuff.jpg

and Buffered
270Buffered.jpg

The unbuffered settings were these:
Unbuffsets.jpg

Needless to say, I am overjoyed with this motherboard. It is a monster overclocker, and quite a bargain to boot!

Angry_Games

im coming im coming! Tony (OCZguy2) lost my request for some OCZ good stuff heh. I'll be posting hopefully something better (at least similar!) soon as I get some more RAM!

glad you be happy with the board bro!

autoMATTic

Thats good to hear. I'm bout to be getting this board soon and the NF II Ultra Infinity for another putter I'm building for my sister.

Got a few questions:
1. Where did u get that RAM?
2. What type of cooling are you using on the CPU?

OP
C

Citation4444

Registered
autoMATTic said:
Thats good to hear. I'm bout to be getting this board soon and the NF II Ultra Infinity for another putter I'm building for my sister.

Got a few questions:
1. Where did u get that RAM?
2. What type of cooling are you using on the CPU?
1. Bought RAM from Komusa PC4000 DDR500 but had to talk to them to make sure I got ADATA chips.
2. Air cooling using Thermalright SLK947U and 92mm fan (not Tornado, but generic CompUSA one, about 1/2 cfm of Tornado).

autoMATTic

I was checking out that Komusa site and I was wondering do you have the Komusa Ram or the Hyper ram. Their RAM is very cheap(price).

OP
C

Citation4444

Registered
autoMATTic said:
I was checking out that Komusa site and I was wondering do you have the Komusa Ram or the Hyper ram. Their RAM is very cheap(price).
I bought the hyper ram HERE and specifying ADATA chips. I'm out of town now so can't tell you temps exactly, but they are very low. I'll be able to tell you when I get home in about 3 days.

OP
C

Citation4444

Registered
autoMATTic said:
oh ok. So are the ADATA chips known for good over clocking?
They were when I bought them. I don't know how they compare to some of the later chips. Here is the review I based my purchase on. LINK

autoMATTic

Good read. Seems like some good memory, but DDR400 seems more up my alley cuz my P4 has 533Mhz bus and the multiplier is 18.

Angry_Games

i actually like the sound on the 865PE...its not NF2 Soundstorm or Audigy, but its a hell of a lot better than the onboard sound of the 875's. No popping/crackling like old VIA KT133 sound lol.

gakkuken

Angry_Games;
since u r the master at dfi stuff, can u tell me if 865pe landparty mobo have pat disable at certain fsb? i have a 2.4c m0 cpu but for whatever the reason i still think i can do better than 272fsb (stable w/ prime95)... and i think the p4p800 is holding me back... any thoughts?

another thing, if the 865pe have pat enable at all fsb, then there is really no point buying 875p then... am i right?

Angry_Games

gak,

im having an issue keeping PAT enabled past 233FSB, but at those speeds, its really a moot point as far as I am concerned. The main reason to go with the 865 is the fact that it does 875 features without paying the extra for it =).

but as I said, at a certain point when overclocking, PAT isn't much of a factor (other than having to turn it off lol). Its sorta like CAS2 vs CAS2.5 to me...once you hit 240FSB or above, there's hardly a difference (as most CAS2 will not run at CAS2 above 235)

autoMATTic

Just got this board a few days ago and I am wondering how I can overclock and keep my ram spped at 333mhz. The bios isn't to clear on setting the speed of the Ram. I have a 2.4B ghz processor and ddr400 ram running at 333mhz(166). All I wanted to do was run a 1:1 ratio and have my ram at 166 and my cpu at 166 (my multi is 18). But whenever i put the cpu at 166 my ram automatically jumps to 416mhz and system wont boot. this is eventhough i have ddr ram speed set to 333(166). Anybody else having problems with this board bumping up ur ram speed when u dont wont it to. Or can u not run a 1:1 with the 533mhz P4 cpu only 4:5?