• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Media Server Build - Upgrades Assist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stoute

Registered
Hey all,

This is my first post on OC and I am currently building a media server machine.

I wanted to get some advice on upgrades and opinions.

Here is what I'm starting with...

Cooler Master Elite 330 - Case
LAN PARTY UT nF3 250Gb - Mobo
2.0Ghz amd 754 with 2x 1gb ram
2x 2TB western digital sata HDD
1x 1.5TB western digital sata HDD
1x 500GB western digital IDE HDD

Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (may change to windows 8 is I can't get the SMB to work consistently in Ubuntu)

Here is what I want to do with it;
I want to use this as the main server with mysql database (I use XBMC on my apple tvs around the house)

I want to make this machine run a little smoother over all. I know the limiting factor now is the processor so here is my question, Should I start over with a new mobo, ram, and processor (mobo $50-80, ram $40-50, processor $50-80, total $140-210) or upgrade the ram and processor in my old Mobo (to max out the avail ram would be about $15 and the highest avail processor $40, total $55) or should I OC the current processor (FREE).

This may seem like a waste since it functions as designed now but with more usability would allow me to use this to develop android and other applications.

Please help me decide the route to take. Thanks

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I would start over with a new processor, board, and RAM. Going with a low end AMD or Intel (i3) would be a huge upgrade. Overclocking would help, but only a little bit.

Automata

Looks like a garbage case and power supply. I would avoid that.

Automata

Sorry, I missed the part where you said "minus the case". It would be a good starter, but you could probably get it cheaper without the case with a bit of shopping.

OP
S

stoute

Registered
since I'm pretty new to this whole modding thing, are there sites you guys use frequently?

newegg.com and tigerdirect are the ones I use as well as ebay and CL but the latter two are not very reliable

OP
S

stoute

Registered
doesn't look like there is a micro center in the Portland, Oregon area. But it does look like I can order there online too, although alot of their products are "in-store only"

Knufire

Pretty much all the good deals are in-store only, sorry.

I'm not sure about server hardware requirements, I'm just going off what you posed in the combo deal earlier being okay. How would this do?

With a Sandy Bridge Pentium, you'll get a little bit worse GPU power but more CPU power, if that matters.

Screenshot.png

OP
S

stoute

Registered
considering the mobo supports up to 16GB of ram, would it be beneficial, given the plans for this PC, to bump up to 8GB of ram since its still just over half what my initial expectation of cost was? Or would I just be throwing the extra $20 at a machine that would be over powered for what its plans are?

Automata

I think that 8gb would be overkill since the processor would likely be the limiting factor in the future, rather than the RAM amount.

OP
S

stoute

Registered
The nice part about that setup is I can always upgrade the processor later too.

thanks for the info guys!

Knufire

Note that straight CPU power wise, you can only upgrade this up to an A8, which is still like a Athlon II X4.

It's more upgradeable if you go with a cheap H77 board and a Sandy Bridge Pentium, then you can upgrade all the way up to Ivy Bridge, if need be in the future.

OP
S

stoute

Registered
I keep looking into a intel system but they seem to be double of a comparable AMD system as far as cost goes. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Automata

They are going to be expensive, but I don't know how much, exactly.

OP
S

stoute

Registered
I wanted to thank you guys for the assistance. I will probably be going with the slightly more expensive Intel one. Thanks again!

Automata

It depends by what you mean by media server. This thread is about a HTPC.

If you mean something that stores the videos, but doesn't play them, it gives you a central location for all your files to share out. This simplifies your network by having one place to get files, instead of multiple. This also means your main computer doesn't need to be on. RAM usage has nothing to do with it.

If you mean an HTPC (something that plays videos), these are usually hooked to a TV to play files. These files can be store locally (if shared, this "becomes" a media server) or played from another server/computer. People frequently use programs like XBMC to give a nice interface to selecting and playing files.