• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first modding injury and grill mount help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

I own a chieftec Dragon case and decided to remove the back grilles like i did for the front ones a long time ago. I figured the chrome grille would fit on the fan but nope, the chrome grill wont go in witht he fan clips. So genius me decided to learn to soldier and soldier the grilles on to the back. Well i learned a little something about soldier...it doesnt stick to metal that well. I learned this 30 minutes and a burned finger later. Soo i am looking for ideas on how to attatch one of them chrome grilles. I was thinking maybe i could just ditch the fan clips but i like them, that is definatly something to look into, some other time. I just would like to know if anyone else has come across this problem. How would super glue work?

super glue would work (maybe), but some other kind of glue would probably be better. Some kind of epoxy or something would work well.

what about elmers glue? would hold it on, and would be easy to remove...

If you have enough of the case left, use screws or even better small bolts with nuts that have nylon inserts. The nylon inserts prevent loosening due to vibration.

If you don't have enough of the case left to attach the grill, then rough up (as in a coarse piece of sandpaper) the case and use a two-part epoxy to attach the grill to the case. Setup time will vary depending on the epoxy chosen. If you are impatient, look for the quick-set type in your local hardware store. Many grocery stores also have epoxy, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. JB Weld has great strength, but takes longer to setup than many other types I've used.

"Hoof glue," aka Elmers, won't work very well at all. It will run, take too long to dry, and then too easily chip off the metal of the case.

Super glue may work - if you already have the stuff it would be worth a try. I normally only use super glue if the two surfaces match fairly closely - i.e. very little gap between them. There are types of super glue that work better when the surfaces don't mate nicely. These are known as "gap filling" types and can be found in hobby stores. If you are looking around on the web, you can search for "cyanoacrylate gap filling".

and i could use gaskets! You guys think wally marts would have the nuts and gaskets? Nothing else is opened

did you roughen the area first or use flux when soldering? cause, yeah, solder doesnt just bind to metal like glue, but if you scratch the surface a bit and use flux it should work a lot better.

from what i hear, JBweld is also good stuff for attaching metal to metal. good luck

mod on

Isn't there a thin coat of paint on the back of the cases or something? Solder won't stick to that unless you do what smirabi said. Although you only need to sand it a little because the solder (at least the stuff i use) has flux already in it. Plus if any part is aluminum, solder will not stick, period.

I would just use screws to attach the fans and run the screws through the fan grills how it is supposed to be done. I hate those plastic clips so that's why I'm pro screw method.:p

Back