• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Question/OC1800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freeek

Registered
Hy people!!! first post!:) I need your help.... here´s my system

Atlhon XP 1800+@(151 x 11) =1661 1.825 vcore
Micron pc2100 512 ddr 2-2-5-2 2.7 vcore
MSI kt266A pro2 (4:2:1)
Radeon 9700 pro
sb live 5.1
temps are ok, not passing 47C under full load
pci 38mhz (safe?)

Im running with this FSB since 2 days without problems.... the weird thing is my CPU.......

145x11.5 locks(1667) ,vcore 1.85, but it runs ok at 1661 with 1.825??:( very wierd
my stepping is ANGNA0152MPMW

one thing I was thinking about is my BIOS , It only supports till XP2000+(1667), could it be that going past the "supported" speed cause my lockups? I can go through the POST and load in windows, but it freezes when running 3dmark car chase test...any hint?? THX

Welcome to the Forums!

It is most probably your limit in CPU overclocking that is causing this.

Some CPU's overclock a lot some don't, its mostly luck.

However there are some things you can try to overclock better, one is update your BIOS, it shouldn't make much of a difference but it won't hurt to try.
Lastly try to bring your temperatures down if you want to overclock anything more out of that chip, when you are overclocking a component they become much more susceptible to heat, hence why a lower temperature usually yields a reasonably better overclock with the same CPU.

Good Luck, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask :)
M_N

yeah welcome to the forums. That is a great overclock your getting with that processor. Considering the stepping isnt a good one and all the 1800+ i have played with i could only get a little bit over stock before raising voltage. Also I would cut down on the voltage, thats alot into a cpu running on air.:beer:

THANKS!

Hy all, and thx for the welcome. I was thinking that my CPU has reached his limits too...since I´ve read somewhere that my stepping isn´t good at all.... here are the info below the stepping:
Y7512Q41946

I will try to run with voltage at 1.8 and see what it happens... but my mobo automatically reduces the voltage selected, so If i select 1.825 v, it shows in BIOS 1.775, if I select 1.85v (MAX) it shows 1.8v.... and so on..

Re: THANKS!

Freeek said:
Hy all, and thx for the welcome. I was thinking that my CPU has reached his limits too...since I´ve read somewhere that my stepping isn´t good at all.... here are the info below the stepping:
Y7512Q41946

I will try to run with voltage at 1.8 and see what it happens... but my mobo automatically reduces the voltage selected, so If i select 1.825 v, it shows in BIOS 1.775, if I select 1.85v (MAX) it shows 1.8v.... and so on..
Thats not you stepping. I have a couple of 1800+'s a agoga y and a agkga y both will do 1.75 ghz. bumping your vcore to 1.92 shows the best results vs heat output.

@ bon3thugz: how did you figure that 1.85v was too much for an air cooled cpu. If done right air cooling isn't far off from water. I have run my xp's @ 1.95 ever since I bought them infact I have ran the one upto 2.05 but since it did help my overclock any I turned it down

hey there! I dont have a direct answer to your question but i do possibly have some input you might find useful. I have an athlon xp 1800+ and it took me about 2 minutes to OC, i simply changed the fsb to 143 and set the on board multiplier to 12 instead of automatic configuration. My vcore is set at 1.8. I have generic 512Mbs ram. It's completely stable with these settings and temps remain in 40C's at all times. Perhaps dropping your fsb and increasing the multiplier will increase stability at higher OC'ing. It sounds like you expect there to be a limitation of your mobo though so maybe that won't help you any but i would try an increased multiplier and lower fsb to pass the limit and if that doesn't work it would make your problem more clear perhaps. Or maybe the whole point of dropping the mulitplier to 11 and increasing fsb for you was to increase overall system speed performance as an fsb increase can do, but that comes at the cost of system stability. Good Luck :)

looks good for me. you more then likely just have to except that thats all your going to get out of that chip. still a good overclock. i wish i could unlock my 2100 but it's a lot harder then a 1600.

well, I tried 1.8vcore but It locks, I guess that 1.825 is the safest one:) , I don´t think that stability issues comes from the high FSB since I had lockups at 145x11.5 (1679), and Im running stable at 151x11, so i guess that my CPU has reach his limits on a XP2000+....:(

Better Cooling will help you get more of an overclock, more voltage will too.

Problem is you have to weigh out the advantages and disadvantages, sometimes it works out cheaper to just buy a new CPU :eek:

M_N

Back