• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First SMP Xeon System Done!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abercrombie_Boy

Registered
First off, big thanks for everyone here and at 2cpu for helping out out the last couple months! I finally had a little time over Thanksgiving break to finish gathering parts and piece everything together. I know the system soundfx4 is working on would tear it to shreds , but everything was pretty cheap and this will keep my tinkering occupied for the next few months. :)

2x 3.0Ghz Xeon
Iwill DN800-SLI
2x Transcend 512MB DDR2-533
XFX GeForce 7800GT
Creative X-Fi X-music
Plextor DVDR PX-740A

After Oc'ing:
http://www.rit.edu/~jmb3524/409/puter.JPG

Runs really stable, haven't really put it through a massive 24-hour burn in, but COD2 and F.E.A.R. run flawlessly with all the settings maxed. I've never done any benchmarking before, but I'm going to try to give it a go this weekend and change the memory timings, voltages...etc.

According to speedfan both cpus hover around 48C under a decent load, but that seems low to me. Anyone know of a different program that will work with my mobo?

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
It says your 3.0 Xeons are Cranford's. I;ve never heard of those codenamed xeons. Enlighten me please.

mateo

They're Irwindales. Dunno why CPU-Z completely missed the boat on that...

Go for the full 255, those babies should be able to do 3.8 :)

BTW, what are you using for cooling?

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I google Cranford and it told me they were the MP edition of Irwindales.

Those are som serious clocks man. Keep it up.

mateo

Nocona 2.8s can do 3.6 on the stock cooler no sweat...Xeons have a lot of potential in them. Too bad that the current-gen boards blow chunks compared to the Pentium D mobos...

Albigger

Shelnutt2 said:
I google Cranford and it told me they were the MP edition of Irwindales.

Those are som serious clocks man. Keep it up.

Woah - if those are MP versions they are probably worth more than the 'standard' xeon. I thought most of us use DP xeons (meant for use in dual-processor systems) while MP versions could be used in more than 2-way systems (4 or 8?).

Anyway, agree on the nice clocks part!

OP
Abercrombie_Boy

Abercrombie_Boy

Registered
mateo said:
They're Irwindales. Dunno why CPU-Z completely missed the boat on that...

Go for the full 255, those babies should be able to do 3.8 :)

BTW, what are you using for cooling?

I stopped using the 'auto' timings and started tinkering with the memory today, but even on the lowest settings 5-4-4-7, I can't get past 248. Any higher and the machine reboots when it gets to the XP loading screen.

I stuck with the stock HSF that came with the cpus and have 2 casefans. I wasn't sure if they'd work well for oc'ing, but they seem to work great. I updated Speedfan and it now reports idle temps around 26C and a mid-load temp of 36C, which seems too low to me.

Albaholic

Sweet. Those are some really nice clocks. bump up the voltage & see what that gets you

wa77ss

Man....Dual Xeons look really fun....Congrats on the great system !! = )

Also...do you have 2x 7800 ? Or just one ? Thanks

OP
Abercrombie_Boy

Abercrombie_Boy

Registered
WaTTz said:
Man....Dual Xeons look really fun....Congrats on the great system !! = )

Also...do you have 2x 7800 ? Or just one ? Thanks

I decided to go with just one 7800GT and use the money to get a decent water cooling set up in the near future.

Albaholic said:
Sweet. Those are some really nice clocks. bump up the voltage & see what that gets you

The board has a 255 FSB limit :( so I figure I'd leave the voltages stock until someone finds a way around it.