• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED First step into overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Claydelas

So a few days ago, I bought myself BattleField 3 as it was on promotion. I soon found out my CPU isn't able to handle the game at stock clock. Which ofcourse led me to this forum. I have stock CPU cooling but I have 120 mm fan on my power supply, which should help a bit. Now for my question. With a stock cooling, how much can I go up to and can it be enough for running the specified game ? I am afraid to try myself, since I know I had CPU overheat problems before. And I won't be flashing custom bios anytime soon, so remove that from the list :) Thanks for your time and I expect your anwers soon :attn:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200+ @2.20 gHz
Motherboard: M2N
Graphic Card: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 GB DDR 3
Power Supply: I believe KME PK-400

Last edited:
I have stock CPU cooling = not nearly enough cooling to gain 500Mhz to move from 2200Mhz to 2700Mhz.

Motherboard: AM2 = that is certainly not enough information about the motherboard like model and manufacturer to decide if the motherboard is even capable of being overclocked. Some of the really cheap boards have next to no chance of producing 500Mhz overclock of that 4200+ 939S cpu.

Most of the users we see playing BF3 are running considerably newer and more powerful cpu and video combinations to actually run BF3 at what are today considered playable FPS.

I have stock CPU cooling = not nearly enough cooling to gain 500Mhz to move from 2200Mhz to 2700Mhz.

Motherboard: AM2 = that is certainly not enough information about the motherboard like model and manufacturer to decide if the motherboard is even capable of being overclocked. Some of the really cheap boards have next to no chance of producing 500Mhz overclock of that 4200+ 939S cpu.

Most of the users we see playing BF3 are running considerably newer and more powerful cpu and video combinations to actually run BF3 at what are today considered playable FPS.
My bad! I meant M2N motherboard by Asus. I got quite confused around here...
http://www.mediafire.com/?eculb8xecjcovla Full specs.

Last edited:
Actually I expect you actually have bought a promo deal that is going to be sort of expenive in the long haul. I have gotten a number of "free" dogs that have cost a pretty penny but they were free. Right.

I don't consider myself a gamer but do keep up with the rigs used in some games. How much hardware is really needed for the peeps to consider their game-play as sufficient. I suspect your system lags behind in powerful hardware.

That said herre is a link that pretty much tells it like it is about overclocking that cpu.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391768
Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Opteron, X2

***bios descriptions are from the DFI Ultra-D and SLI-DR, yours may differ some but the principal will be the same***

Actually I got it for 5 dollars in a pack with Sims 3, Mirrors Edge, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, Dead Space, Dead Space 3, Red Alert 3, Burnout paradise, but anyway. Long story short, I will be able to overclock my CPU while having Stock Cooling + the PSU fan ? Also, thanks for reffering me to the right thread, because I was accidentaly going to follow the AM2 one.

Long story short, I will be able to overclock my CPU while having Stock Cooling + the PSU fan ?

I have one of the 4600+ in use on a rig right now with a stock type heatsink and comfortably about 200Mhz is all the OEM heatsink would support. That is far short of 500Mhz just to reach the X2 @ 2.7Ghz mentioned loosely as 'enough' cpu for BF3.

It really did! Now I can play Battlefield 3 on low settings with hardly noticeable lag, while before, I had delay on everything. Couldn't shoot, players invisble, hardly hitting ~20. Thank you sir!

If you would not mind since it makes the 'search' function work better; could you go back into your first post and at the beginning of the TITLE put [SOLVED]? Thank you kindly sir.
RGone...

Back