• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinman5567

looks good but I for one would go with a better power supply the ones that come with cases are most of the time just junk think about it 30 bucks for case and power supply how much of that 30 was for the power supply not much Imo so I would get a case with out power supply and get a good one sparkle or fortron good stuff will keep your 3.0c and 9800pro happy

OP
L

LordGiovanni

Registered
Alright I'll see what I find. Also, am I missing anything like heatsinks or something? Do the CPUs come with them or do i gotta add them to my list?

tinman5567

If the the cpu is OEM it will not come with a heat sink but the one you have listed is retail so it will come with a heat sink and fan

WhatTheSchmidt

looks like that mobo doesn't have the cables, so just get the rounded IDE cable and floppy cable. The sapphire 9800pro is more popular and mine came with the r360 core....a little cheaper too...might wanna get that one

WhatTheSchmidt

o, u should also get a different cooler, possibly go with the OEM chip and get a better cooling solution, and maybe artic silver 5(thermal paste)

OP
L

LordGiovanni

Registered
even if i dont plan to OC it?

EDIT: Whats the IDE cable used for? the dvd drive? And do I want a rounded floppy cable? Could you also explain what a rounded cable means :confused:

Last edited:

Drec

if you want to OC it dont use the heatsink that comes with it,...look at thermalright heatsinks they are good, SLK

OP
L

LordGiovanni

Registered
I dont feel like I would be able to OC it and Id rather not have my warrenties voided so I'll just stick with what it comes with then. Also, can anyone explain my Edit in my last post?

EDIT: Does my HD come with the proper cable? I really just wanna make sure I have everything Ill need to hook this up before I purchase it, or ill be mad. :(

Last edited:

WhatTheSchmidt

i dont have time to check, but the IDE cable is for the HD(if its not sata) and for cdrw or whatever kind. The mobo either comes with IDE cables and sata cables or not....so check that out...I can help tomorrow if u need i gtg

LmpPns

Case fan specs look pretty good. If you plan on overclocking you may want to turn to a different motherboard. Intel makes great boards but they don't have much in terms of overclocking options in the BIOS. I understand they give moderate overclockability, but the options are pretty bare.

Why are you buying IDE cables and the like? The motherboard usually supplies you with those, unless you are going for round cables. Then again, some motherboard manufacturers include rounded ones, like Abit.

If I were you I would buy a SP-97 and another Logisys fan and use that for your CPU cooling.

OP
L

LordGiovanni

Registered
I don't plan to OC it so it doesnt matter to me about its OC options in the BIOS. Thanks for all the information guys.

Aslan

Since you don't plan to OC it, then don't bother with another cooler, just go with stock, it will serve you fine. Also, I would replace the power supply with either a Fortron or Antec Truepower that is at least 400W+. This will serve you much better than what you're getting in your case.
Also, Samsung is a decent hard drive choice, but Hitachi will give you better performance, and Seagate will give you more silence. It doesn't really matter too much however.

speed bump

Well if you end up spending extra for stuff like cables why not get a mobo with those included.

Abit IC7 great value has an 875 chipset, but doesn't have built in ethernet.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-153&depa=1

DFI Lanparty 865PE costs more but includes alot of accesseries and is UV reactive, but (I'm not sure about the Intel boards) they are supposedly are somewhat harder to set up and have all kinds of options in the bios that you probably wouldn't use.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-128&depa=1

Aslan I think with SATA the Samsung's are the really quiet ones but I won't be able to tell you until wensday when my new parts get here.

Aslan

speed bump said:
Aslan I think with SATA the Samsung's are the really quiet ones but I won't be able to tell you until wensday when my new parts get here.

Well, according to Storage Review, the Seagate Barracuda V is the absolute quietest drive you can get. It's listed as a IDE drive, but there is a SATA version as well that is the same. The other Seagate drives are in between(7200.7) or equal to the Samsung (IV)

http://storagereview.com/comparison.html (sort by idle noise)

But, as I said before, it doesn't really matter too much unless you absolutely need a silent PC. I have a Hitachi 7k250, a touch louder than the Samsung, and I don't even notice it.

Last edited:

speed bump

Oh yeah almost forgot saw the MSI 9800 pro for 195. MSI makes scary good cards, I can only vouch for the nvdia MSI cards but the cards I worked with were great(MSI 5800 Ultra and 5900XT). They also have a decent game bundle for the price.

Finally the best part it seems like a lot of them are coming with the r360(9800xt) cores.