• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time case buyer, help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whoopr4theCoppr

Registered
I'm purchasing an Athlon 2100+ and plan on overclocking. I want to buy a case that has all of the necessities (PSU and fans) built in. If the price is right, I don't really care how it looks (the less the better, but I could spend as much as $100 if necessary).

How much of a PSU would be sufficient? I've read some of this board's archives and found that a 350w or 400w name brand (Foxtron, Antec, etc) is the way to go. Also, what size and how many fans do I need? I've seen everything from 1 to 4 in a case with 80mm to 120mm in size.

Here are a few of the cases that I've been looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-122&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...1-129-122&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Both are Antec's. I was looking at the Aspire X-Dreamer II, but I read that the power supply was crap. If anyone can recommend anything better (or can convince me that it's better and more cost efficient to build up a case from just the frame) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
The best case and PSU for the $ is a Dragon / SOHO case with a SPI or FSP power supply you should be able to get them both for under $100 at newegg

johnny5c

I got the Antec SX1040BII at comp usa for $90+tax. It has good airflow with 4 80mm fan and the front filter is cool too. The 400w SP it comes with is great for most systems.

xanderjobizzle

I personaly would go with a dragon case b/c they have awesome cooling and a great psu for the money. But if u have $100 to spend i i would go with an antec case! i just got mine and i love it so much the cooling great! So whaterver floats ur boat.

-Xander

Mattman

I have this same case/psu! It's a great deal and it has very good cooling (especially when you put in the second 120mm fan in front). I'm of the opinion that you can't go wrong with this case.

Happy Holidays!