• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Desktop Workstation - Just trying to get XMP to work.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Technocrat86te

Hi,

This is my first desktop PC I've built in 10 years, I have consistently using powerful laptops for Data Science. I decided to purchase a PC to optimize my workflow and open new possibilities using VM's.

I've never done OC before, but after watching a lot of these tech channels I was pretty sure that at least enable the XMP profile and get the memory speed of the box would be an easy task.

Yet here I am...

My system is a fresh build, selected the parts and guys from MicroCenter built it for me (I know I could have built it myself but I have handicap and the build was pretty expensive, didn't want to risk damaging what essentially is a business investment). Unfortunately the guy at Microcenter did not enable this stuff for me so I tried it my self.

My system:
TR 3960x
128 Gb G-Skill 3600 Mhz
3080 FE
MSI Creator MotherBoard

url]

The BIOS, I just basically ticked the XMP button, left everything else AUTO:

url]

url]

When I saved and exited the BIOs, after the computer tried booting I got a crash screen. Tried playing around with it a little but couldn't make the RAM memory to work at 3600 mhz.

Any advise for a newbie on how to troubleshoot this without me having to back to MicroCenter?

This is what I would try first:
1. Check CPU NB/SoC Voltage at 1.20V (I see it works at 1.1V)
2. Check DRAM CH_A/B and C/D voltage manually at 1.40V

If it won't work then just try a lower clock like DDR4-3200. Simply leave XMP enabled and change DRAM frequency to manual and next pick 3200.

Either way, if someone recommended you this PC and all components then I would contact with the store and say you have problems.

This is what I would try first:
1. Check CPU NB/SoC Voltage at 1.20V (I see it works at 1.1V)
2. Check DRAM CH_A/B and C/D voltage manually at 1.40V

If it won't work then just try a lower clock like DDR4-3200. Simply leave XMP enabled and change DRAM frequency to manual and next pick 3200.

Either way, if someone recommended you this PC and all components then I would contact with the store and say you have problems.

Thank you for your reply!

I was able to lower to 3200 MHz which I believe to be fine right? Like the gains I will get with OC to 3600 MHz is minimal is it not?

I might tinker with the other profiles working my way up to 3600 MHz once I get more experience or if this should be something easy for my system to achieve? I want all the power the hardware can provide but not at the expense of system stability since I'm working on this all the time.

128GB is harder to stabilize than lower capacity RAM. It still should work but I have no idea if you have one, matched 128GB kit or it's something like two 64GB kits. It looks more like two 64 or four 32GB kits which are usually rated higher but at mentioned lower capacity.

These two voltages in my previous post are helping if for some reason motherboard is setting too low voltage or if you use more RAM than specified by RAM vendor (like mentioned 128GB instead of 64GB).

The difference between 3200 and 3600 won't be high. It can be up to maybe 5% difference in some calculations while in other will be 0%. Since this is a quad-channel platform then the memory performance is high enough for everything.

I would still ask if the store checked the PC at declared speed (like with XMP etc) as it clearly looks like someone put everything together but didn't test it right. Maybe you could ask them to replace RAM to something else that will work at 3600 at XMP.

The last option will be to set memory manually because the issue can be caused by incompatibility with the XMP profile. Sometimes one timing is causing a problem.

1. clear BIOS settings
2. set memory clock to manual 3600 (leave XMP disabled)
3. set DRAM voltage on A/B and C/D to 1.40V
4. save settings and restart

If it boots then the motherboard picked different timings which are actually correct for this memory. Also, if it boots like that then on timings that are more relaxed than what is in the XMP profile so the next step will be to set manually main timings to 16-19-19-39. Sub-timings can be at auto.

Most likely you have 4x 32 GB modules... BUT, I noticed that module 0 is populated. If for some reason you do only have two sticks (2x 64 GB), that may contribute to the speed problem. If you are using only two slots, use slots 1 & 3 instead of 0 & 2.

I can't explain this, but I have a 2x 8 GB 3600 MHz kit. It will run full speed in the 2nd and 4th slots, but will only be stable to 3100 if put in the first and third. (0 & 2)

I somehow missed that on the 1st screenshot but it suggests there are 8x 16GB. I don't think anyone is selling 32GB modules at these timings. 32GB would be more like 18-22-22 and there are no non-ECC 64GB modules. Since there are no 128GB/8x16GB DDR4-3600 kits from G.Skill then I assume there are two F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC installed. Two of these kits can have problems at XMP settings.

The Screen Shot shows G.Skill F4-3600C16-GVKC, and also shows 16GB.

But, according to G.Skill's website, part number F4-3600C16-GVKC is a 2 x 8GB set.

Weird?

Back