• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time OC [Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R + i7-930] Need assist!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drixi

Hello OC-champs. I've fallen upon this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639976

And I thought to myself - That looks fairly simple. But it's not i guess. OC is always hard and complicated the first time, but hey - You've got to start somewhere right?

So with this setup:
GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel i7-930
OCZ 3x2GB 2000Mhz - OCZ3BST2000C8LV2G
GTX 470
Vertex 4
1,5 TB + 2x500 GB HDD at 7200 RPM

I think my aim would be 3,8 Ghz with a Coolermaster V8 in a Fractal R3 medi-tower.
Also, I would like to use the RAM fully out if that's not to much to worry about. 2000 Mhz up from around 1000 seems lovely to me, but I never gave it much thought.
- How does this sound to you? Realistic or not? Comments and thoughts very much appreciated.

Now to the real deal.
First of all - Here's a link to my box folder with the associated screenshots of my BIOS settings.
http://www.box.com/s/fe360f2310842c5a3a60
Now - I would like to know exactly what to change and why. Not a criminal-roman about it all, but just some short notes. I looked it trough in the thred linked at the top, but even the []brackets got me confused and I'am not sure I used the right settings. As seen in a picture in my box-folder - I tried to OC at 3,8 Ghz and that got me into Windows but for mere seconds. After approximately 10-20 seconds the system would freeze leaving windows untouchable as was it at 100% CPU-usage.

So I think that was it. If I missed any info - Please let me know. I can supply everything along with pictures fairly easy.
And again - My goal is 3,8 GHz with air-cooling along with a nice increase on the RAM.

Thanks for your time - Your answer will be highly appreciated.
- Drixi, Newcomer

It is related to how to O/C your cpu. It gives you a general idea of how to O/C it yourself since no 2 boards and chips O/C the same. Someone might be able to give you close numbers but ultimately you are going to have to figure out the precise settings yourself.

It is related to how to O/C your cpu. It gives you a general idea of how to O/C it yourself since no 2 boards and chips O/C the same. Someone might be able to give you close numbers but ultimately you are going to have to figure out the precise settings yourself.

How is this:

This WCPUID screenshot tells us something important about these 200MHz FSB CPUs.

Note that the 3GHz CPU uses a new stepping. It’s not 15-2-7; it’s 15-2-9.

15-2-9 is the code for the D-1 stepping (see page 2) of the PIV.

Go to the Intel Processor Spec Finder, and you’ll see that the 3GHz processor also has a 15-2-9 CPUID (that’s what 0F29 means in hex language).

Will the slower 200MHz FSB chips be the same? Don’t know for sure, but probably. Wouldn’t it be worth waiting a week or so to find out?

Actually, it may just be two days. Intel runs two lists showing updated processors: the processor spec finder mentioned above and the processor specification update. The latter is due for an update Wednesday.

If you need some extra help, D-1 steppings won’t show up in “slower” 133MHz CPUs until “officially” the end of June (which probably means September before you put on your Indiana Jones hat and try finding one).

Will a D-1 stepping be better than the current C-1s? Who knows, but wouldn’t it be worth waiting a week or so and spending an extra $15 or so to find out?

Sometimes you have to wait to go ahead on the cutting edge.

Ever going to help me OC? This has nothing to do with what I'am asking and does not tell me anything about the settings I'am going to fizzle with. Tbh I don't understand most of this or what this has to do with anything.

The title of your post is first time oc right? Well I gave you a link to a guide on overclocking an I7. If that does not help you to start out than no I guess I can't help you.Good luck!

I think the :_D at the end of his link (making a smiley face) broke the link and re-directed you.

Back