• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time OC-help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thetriplewide

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I just finished my first build and I've been looking into how to overclock it. I've been reading all the sticky's and threads here so I can absorb as much know-how as possible before taking the plunge. I also wanted to ask some of you guys for some insight for my specific equipment, perhaps some guess as to how easily my parts could OC and how far I could get it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cpu: intel core 2 duo E8500 3.16 GHz
mobo: gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR
ram: 4GB (2x2GB) crucial DDR3-PC10600 1333 MHz
video card: sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
psu: sunbeam 680W
case: thermaltake v9 black edition
hsf: zalman CNPS9500

thanks for your help!

- darren

tachi1247

:welcome:

Nice rig

I have heard of people hitting 4ghz on an 8500 but I would expect less to start with as it takes some know how to get that high.

I am still relatively new at all this and was never able to get my Q6600 stable at 3.0ghz at a voltage I'm happy with.

I'm sure others here will be more helpful.

OP
T

thetriplewide

Registered
Bumping an old thread here. I've done a lot of reading and some tweaking in my bios, now I want to o/c for real and get as much performance out of my system as I can muster. My default voltages are:

CPU Vcore...........1.275v
CPU Termination.....1.2v
CPU PLL.............1.55v
CPU Reference.......0.805v

MCH Core............1.1v
MCH Reference.......0.76v
ICH I/O.............1.55v
ICH Core............1.1v

DRAM Voltage........1.5v (max for my RAM)
DRAM Termination....0.75v

My idle temps on both cores are 32/36*c and my TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 are reading 29*c and 23*c. I believe the first one is a sensor under my cpu socket, but I'm not entirely sure about TMPIN1. So I guess my specific questions are, what are safe voltages and should I max the multiplier or try to up the FSB as much as possible? Thanks, I appreciate any help.