• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time OC'ing, do these stats look alright?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redness

I have an i7 2600k and a Gigabyte z68-apd3. This is my first time overclocking and I OC'ed my CPU from 3.4 to 4.4Ghz using this small guide

bbbb.JPG

I did and booted windows, ran Prime95 and get this at my HWMonitor:

aaaa.JPG

This is my first time to overclock, do these stats look alright?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Looks good to me from what I see. Your temps are OK. You might want to see if you can lower the voltage a bit and still pass your stress test. Not all CPUs are the same and that guide is very general.

OP
R

redness

Looks good to me from what I see. Your temps are OK. You might want to see if you can lower the voltage a bit and still pass your stress test. Not all CPUs are the same and that guide is very general.

When I do lower my voltage, what's the best way to see if my OC is still stable? Do I play a game at high settings? What happens if the voltage is too high or too low?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Test just like you did with that setting using P95. Higher voltage just creates more heat. Too low voltage will cause it to crash during stress testing. Lowering the voltage on your current settings just give more headroom for temperatures and possibly allow you to go up another 100MHz