• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocking, could use some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble

Hi, my computer is IBM 300PL (6892) PENTIUM II 233mhz MMX.
I bought it used and the seller told me that I could change the prosessor to P II 450 Mhz, but these are quite hard to find in finland. So I was wondering if I could use a P III 450 (or some other) instead?

A PIII 450 runs on 100mhz FSB, which your motherboard may or may not support. You'd have to find out the specs on your chipset in order to know what your options are. Later Slot 1 chipsets support upto 850mhz with modification.

Thanks, I'll get on that and try to find out about my motherboard. It could take a day or two, because the deal didn't include a manual.

The model number will most likely be printed somwhere on the motherboard or you can usually tell what chipset it has if the northbridge doesn't have a heatsink.

P.S. I thought you might like this avatar I made. Feel free to use it.
fspirit2.gif

I think the model number is 11L1633 right after that there was printed copyright of IBM 1998, or something similar.
The heatsink was attached to the case (northbridge?), not on the motherboard or the prosessor itself.

There was a rockerswith on the motherboard with 8 swithces that can be set on or off. And on a side of the case that comes loose there was a big white stiker with information about the motherboard printed on it, amoung other things there was a sheet about that rocker switch. It states that switches 1-4 are for CPU speed and here are two lines for excample:

CPU switch1 switch2 switch3 switch4
233/66 off off on on
---
450/100 off on off on

Something similar, but on a smaller scale was printed on the mobo too.

noble said:
CPU switch1 switch2 switch3 switch4
233/66 off off on on
---
450/100 off on off on

That's an FSB adjustment switch. You should be able to upgrade to any 100mhz FSB Slot 1 processor if the board supports the voltage that that CPU needs. Even my Intel 440LX motherboard was able to upgrade to 533mhz with a simple BIOS flash. But, without knowing the chipset it's going to be impossible to tell whether or not a CPU will work without simply trying it.

I can get my hand's on a 400 mhz pentium 2 slot 1 prosessor (with 100 mhz fbs), but I don't really know how to upgrade it further.

BTW. Can I use a P III 450 MHz prosessor instead of P II 450 MHz? Because those I can get, but those P II's are under a stone.

OK, I got some more info. After I used the google groups search to find out if anyone else had upgraded the processor on a similar system AND using sisoft sandra to findout more about my mobo I came up with this.
I think it is safe to upgrade to at least P III 850MHz (according to the groups and sandra). I'm not quite sure, but I think that I can use a slot 1 or A processor, sisoft sandra said that what could be used is a slot 1/A processor (?).
I also updated my bios, no problem. But there is still no options about voltage or anything like that in there, but there is a thing where I can set processor upgrade enabled or disenabled, by default it is disabled.
I'm going to try and get a hold of a P III 850 MHz processor and if doesn't work, I can always sell it or look for a better mobo.

Back