• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time WC with Swiftech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shagrat

Registered
I was thinking of updating my sytem to be watercooled. Based on the avilability of my regional supplier this is what I've come up with:

CPU: Swiftech MCW5000P
NB: Swiftech MCW20R
Pump: Eheim 1048
Rad: HW Labs "BlackIce" (1x120mm)

My system is:

P4 2.6C
Abit IC7-G
GeIL PC4000 Ultra Platinum (2x256)
FIC Radeon 9600 Pro

My goals are a decent oc, but noice is also a consideration. I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with these blocks?

2. Will the rad suffice? Maby a larger one is needed?

3. As you can see I have not included a GPU block - Will the standard fan be enough (I'm not looking at oc'ing the GPU), or should I just buy a GPU block while I'm at it?

4. I have sucsessfully oc'ed to 250MHz FSB with the ram ratio 1:1 and with the stock P4 cooler. Haven't tortured tested it though, just booted WinXP and was idling at 64C (have read that the abit boards reads pretty high temps compared to other brands). This temp seems awfully high to me :mad:. With the watercooling mentioned above, how much can I hope for in temp drops?

Thanks in advane for your help!

Suma

1. If you wanna stick with swifty, I'd get the 5002 instead.
2. I'd take a Chevette Heatercore, it's cheaper and cools great.
3. Well, I think a fan will do the job if no OCing is done.
4. I'd say around 20c. Also what bios version are you using?

Edit: Maybe you'll need a stronger pump. my 1048 is great, but you're going to be running with more then 1 wb. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Suma.

OP
S

shagrat

Registered
Suma said:
1. If you wanna stick with swifty, I'd get the 5002 instead.
2. I'd take a Chevette Heatercore, it's cheaper and cools great.
3. Well, I think a fan will do the job if no OCing is done.
4. I'd say around 20c. Also what bios version are you using?

Edit: Maybe you'll need a stronger pump. my 1048 is great, but you're going to be running with more then 1 wb. Just a thought.

Good luck.
Suma.

The problem is that the shop I'm going to buy from dont have 5002 :(

I'm using the latest BIOS: 11/18/2003

OP
S

shagrat

Registered
Suma said:
Hmm.. is that shop an online shop?

Suma.

Yes, but they are selling all the swiffy stuff for special prices, they may be stopping importing swiffy.

They are also selling the whole AquaComputer line. Anyone with experience from their blocks?

ILikeMy240sx

Kbird said:
I use the Swift MCW5000 and it performs great, but if you do go with the Swifty make sure to order the inserts for 1/2 id tubing to get the best results from this block.http://www.swiftnets.com/store/product_details.asp?ProdID=135

With that adapter it should be the same as 5002.

Swifty is an awesome block... Im pretty happy with mine.

If I were you I would actually ditch the northbrdge cooler and get a GPU cooler instead. I see more practical application to this because the Overclock that you will get out of your GPU will have more use than little OC you will get out of by having a chip cooler. Just add a 40mm fan on it and it should be good.

I would recommend getting a HC instead with a pump like 1048

OP
S

shagrat

Registered
ILikeMy240sx said:

With that adapter it should be the same as 5002.

Swifty is an awesome block... Im pretty happy with mine.

If I were you I would actually ditch the northbrdge cooler and get a GPU cooler instead. I see more practical application to this because the Overclock that you will get out of your GPU will have more use than little OC you will get out of by having a chip cooler. Just add a 40mm fan on it and it should be good.

I would recommend getting a HC instead with a pump like 1048

Thanks for the tip! I'll be looking into that.