• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fixed 5 volt problem with epox 8k5a3+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disabled
just fixed my 5 volt line last night and it turns out most of te problem was the motherboard. I attached the 5 volt lines directly to the 5 volt mosfets and it solved it for good.

what was the problem? cause i have the same mobo and no problems here.. unless i havent noticed..
I do have a 550 psu and my 5v line is just around 4.92 top and has gone to 4.87 min.. which i find LOW.. is that the same problem?

Most likely it was the same;)

Epox boards are known for being very 5v hungry, and add in the sensitivity that AMD chips have for 5v power......often adds up to low overclocks or even instabilty at defaults!

The mosfet mod is great, and helps a lot IF you have low 5v readings in bios or software but a good reading using a multimeter at one of the molex connectors.

Sometimes the ATX connector is the problem- if so, it can sometimes be fixed by cleaning up the contacts and tightening them up a bit.

My 5v lines were decent when I did the mod, but post-mod I see much less fluctuation in the readings than before.

from what i have learned there is too much resistance between the atx connector and the mosfets, so you simply just bypass that circuit :D

I'd assume the traces on the boards are not thick enough. I think it would be a good idea to check and see if they are getting HOT after a while of the computer being on.
Rob

For us dumb people that don't know what or where the mosfets are....can you please give pictures or details as to how the 5v mod was done.

Thanks

found another factor in the voltage loss on the 5v line. Seams that the mosfets are also getting too hot and the heat just adds to the resistance.

Back