• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flags for Centrino lappy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

i've been out of the loop since the balance change in the points system and all the stuff i knew before probly doesn't apply anymore.

that said on my main p4 rig i have no advmethods and i guess its doing ok. what should i use on my pentium m laptop when its folding sitting around doing nothing?

i have it set to 75% cpu cause i don't want it to get too hot, but i'm sure this thing can pump out some wu pretty fast cause this chip is amazing quick :)

Karbon

I've always used
Arguments: -local -service -advmethods -verbosity 9

I'm really not sure why people say not to use advmethods, if u can use the SSE boost on gromacs you might as well

Karbon

If its set as a service, you're supposed to use -service

forcesse isnt needed anymore, its turned on by default. advmethods is a personal preference but i dont see why people dont use it, if your cpu has SSE you might as well try getting more gromacs that use it. verbosity 9 makes FAH do more detailed logs which can be helpful if your trying to solve a problem

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

well since this is a laptop i'm not running the service version so i can have better control over when its running and when its not.

muddocktor

Retired
Max, I'm using "-advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9" on my new Dothan 2.0 laptop and the sucker does real well for a laptop, or really any non-HT proc. It's been averaging around 800 point/week, pretty darn [email protected] for a lappy. I would love to see how one of these Dothans would do in a modern desktop DC board that has overclocking options and mem timing options myself. :) I also think that some folks will be pleasantly surprised when P-M is finally introduced to desktop use in another year or so too.

Now if only we could convince some major mobo manufacturer to make a desktop or SFF board using the present P-M procs. ;)

Andyman902042

I don't think you should use -forceasm. That forces it to use 3DNow instead of SSE and SSE is faster. Try removing that flag and see if your ppw goes up.

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

alright i'll toss on the advmethods and see if it helps.

muddocktor

Retired
Andyman902042 said:
I don't think you should use -forceasm. That forces it to use 3DNow instead of SSE and SSE is faster. Try removing that flag and see if your ppw goes up.

Wrong on 2 counts, my friend. First, the Pentium M is an Intel chip and doesn't even have 3DNow! extentions, which are an AMD suite of extentions. Second, the client was changed a few months ago to use SSE by default on AMD procs since Stanford and AMD figured out what was locking up AMD processors while using SSE extentions and folding Gromacs. There was recently an udate in the AMD tech docs showing this as a new errata on XP procs. ;)

mudd

NedClocker

Maxvla said:
i've been out of the loop since the balance change in the points system and all the stuff i knew before probly doesn't apply anymore.

Huh? There's been a change in the points system?

Guess I've been out of the loop for a while too.

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

NedClocker said:
Huh? There's been a change in the points system?

Guess I've been out of the loop for a while too.
yeah tinkers went WAY up.

OP
Maxvla

Maxvla

NedClocker said:
What's a tinker?
wow you really have been gone a while :eek:

tinker is the older core that doesn't use SSE extentions. they run really slow and use to be not worth much points. they got a bad reputation, but now they are about equal in points per time as the newer gromacs and double gromacs that use SSE.

NedClocker

Maxvla said:
wow you really have been gone a while :eek:

Yep. That's for true.

Still folding all the while. Just not keeping up with it like I used to be able to do.

:cry:

My once bleeding edge AMD procs have now been left in the dust by the newer ones, too.
:cry:

Oh, well. Maybe someday, again. Hard as heck to get into the top 10 these days, though.