• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flambe'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dulorn

Hello Everyone! :)

I have a Zalman CNPS 5000+ in 3000rpm mode and recently upgraded to an XP 2000+. My temps are now about 49c idle 59c max.

I got paranoid after waking up after leaving a game running and it wasn't running. I looked in event viewer and it said the system rebooted after a debugging.

The odd thing is that in experimenting I got the cpu up to 66c for about a half hour and nothing bad happened.

I wanted to know what temps others here with this cpu are getting and if there is a heatsink as quiet as this one that will cool better and will fit on an ak31a, that northbridge is TOO close.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
Dulorn said:
Hello Everyone! :)

I have a Zalman CNPS 5000+ in 3000rpm mode and recently upgraded to an XP 2000+. My temps are now about 49c idle 59c max.

I got paranoid after waking up after leaving a game running and it wasn't running. I looked in event viewer and it said the system rebooted after a debugging.

The odd thing is that in experimenting I got the cpu up to 66c for about a half hour and nothing bad happened.

I wanted to know what temps others here with this cpu are getting and if there is a heatsink as quiet as this one that will cool better and will fit on an ak31a, that northbridge is TOO close.

Wow... now I know what heatsink NOT to buy. =P

As for a replacment, the undisputed price-to-performance king is the Thermalright AX-7.

It's the top rated heatsink on the Overclockers.com heatsink rating list, and at $28, you just can't go wrong. (Don't forget to buy a fan too!)

trdsw20

damn 66c thats pretty hot... on your monitoring progs dont you have a warning alarm or something like that. Well with temps like that it cant be good.
Definitely spend some time and cash on cooling that rig down!

Arcane

Registered
i found for air cooling the fan makes a big difference..at least it did for me...i was recently running my 1.3 amd athlon at 45C idle...it was too hot for me but a lot of people said it was fine..i just wasn't satisfied and bought a delta 60mm fan...it's loud as poop, but it dropped my idle temp to 22C...then i began to overclock it slowly and stopped at 1450MHz stable @ 25C...i don't know if it's just because of the fan (i also, removed and reapplied as3 to the die) but damn, it's quite a drop in temp...but remember, my results are just that....my results, you will probably have different results...good luck!!!

trdsw20

thats a great fantasy success story of how 1 fan made the temps drop hella low. I wish something like that would happen for me.

hey why dont you swap it out for a bigger fan with less squealing noises but that pushes the same amount?

Arcane

Registered
trdsw20 said:
thats a great fantasy success story of how 1 fan made the temps drop hella low. I wish something like that would happen for me.

hey why dont you swap it out for a bigger fan with less squealing noises but that pushes the same amount?

hehe...that fantasy was my reality...i posted my problem a while back ago on this forum and someone recommended this fan...thanks again!!! (sorry, i forgot who it was, please don't hate me:p )