• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing and overclocking an ASUS GTX 750Ti [WIP]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Hello everybody,

I hope this saves people who are interested in overclocking their 750Ti a bit of time and effort. I spent many an hour scouring the web and managed to glean enough information to obtain a successful overclock. Perhaps most of this is old news and pretty obvious, but it was not obvious to somebody getting back into the desktop business after a five year hiatus such as yours truly. :D

Card: ASUS GTX 750Ti (with a 6pin power connector)

Problems encountered

1. Low boost clock (1325 MHz)
  2. 135 MHz Boost offset limit
  3. Core voltage limited to approximately 1.21V

GPU BIOS Flashing

• Tools required are attached to this post. (GPUz, Kepler BIOS Tweaker 1.27, NVFlash)
  • Download MSI Afterburner to overclock.
  • Use the WHQL 335.23 drivers to remove the 135MHz boost offset cap. The latest beta has the 135MHz cap.

Save your stock BIOS from within GPUz as shown. Store this in a safe location (email it to yourself) and make a working copy of it in a different location.
gpu1.png

In order to overclock this card we must increase the TDP power limit. Fire up Kepler BIOS Tweaker, open the working copy of the BIOS you saved and edit the TDP limit as shown. A good way to estimate a practical TDP limit is by using FURMark. Run the burn-in test at a high resolution and high AA. For the settings below, my card hits 80~89% TDP. As far as I can tell, there is no harm is raising the TDP value to an arbitrary number in the BIOS. Of course, I'd advise you to do your own research first.

fur.png

gpu2.png

Next, increase the base clocks. This is the frequency the GPU will default to. The ASUS card barely hits 60 C in games, so throttling is a non-issue. The Boost clock is the frequency at which Boost is applied. For example if your Boost clock is 1100MHz, then once the card ramps up to this frequency state, a boost is applied. Set the Boost clock to say, 20MHz above the base clock as shown.

gpu3.png

I have not messed with the Voltage table, Boost table or Boost states yet because I don't know what each entry exactly means. I will take one for the team once I procure a backup/rescue card. :D

Save your BIOS. Now let us flash the GPU from DOS (flashing from within Windows did not work for me). Grab a copy of NVFlash (attached)
Code:
nvflash -6 yourBIOS.rom

Attachments

• tools.7z
    2.7 MB · Views: 3,045
thank you for this Posting,

Did help for flashing much, cause everything else would not work at my card.

now with 50W TDP the card runs with 1433MHz Core and 2950MHz RAM in games.

The meaning of the voltage tables I would like to kown more detailed, because my card only gives 1,181V@ max.boost. 1,24 would be great for more oc.

Yes, thats not the worst I expacted to get ;)

By now I am writing a Thread for 750 GTX and 750 Ti in the german forum hardewareluxx.

But for those who are interessted, my 750 GTX is cooled by water with a modified EK-FC5770, so that GPU and VRAM are cooled with it.
The VRMs are by now without any cooler. I did measure 64°C on the VRMs after a unigine-Vally-Loop for about 40-50 minutes.

If I get more information about the voltagetables, I will give a response here.

It looks like the only way to get a voltage greater than 1.18V is by a hardware mod. There is a guide up on Xtremesystems and I'm going to take a careful look at it before attempting the mod.

WTG!

Im curious what your actual boost clocks are...(check the sensors page)... you may be hitting 1400Mhz...?

Also, what is a 'boost offset cap'?

My boost clocks are 1408 MHz Furmark stable (see pic in previous post). I have played Skyrim with the card boosting to 1427 MHz but it is not Furmark stable. Temps barely hit 62 C after I removed some of the clutter (my wire management sucks). At this point, I'm not sure how to circumvent the 1.18 V cap by using either software or modding the BIOS. I am sure that with say 1.3V I'll easily hit 1500 MHz. Memory is at stock for now.

Not having SLI capability really sucks. This is a filler card anyway. I am waiting for the upper division Maxwell cards (sub $250 price range) to arrive. This is my first NVidia card after the 6800GT. :D

my boost is at maximum 1433 and it is all the time activ during valley. i did give a offset of 205 MHz to the baseclock, so the boost goes also higher.

in anno 2070 it is a little hopping between 1394 ad 1433. there is the powertarget a little to low. I would say 55500 would be bedder than my chosen 50500. I think i will try another target in a few days.

The point with the hardmod for voltage is a thing, that I do not want to do. Thats to much risk for my point of view.

Edit:
Nade, the SLI unction must be avaiable with an old driver from before march 2014. I member of Hardwareluxx.de wrote me, that he could test ist with two 750ti, scalling up was about 80%; but with a new driver, it was disfunctional.

If you find a way to get the voltage above 1,18v without hardmod, please let us know.

My boost clocks are 1408 MHz Furmark stable (see pic in previous post). I have played Skyrim with the card boosting to 1427 MHz but it is not Furmark stable. Temps barely hit 62 C after I removed some of the clutter (my wire management sucks). At this point, I'm not sure how to circumvent the 1.18 V cap by using either software or modding the BIOS. I am sure that with say 1.3V I'll easily hit 1500 MHz. Memory is at stock for now.
nice! Wow!

side note, you may want to move away from furmark as it was deemed a 'power virus'. Years ago, both nvidia and amd said to stay away from it. Unigine heaven or valley are one of the better benchmarks to test for stability and heat output. :)

Earth, I could find even much higher temperature at using furmark than vally until now.
Therefore I would say, Furmark is until now the best test for maximum heat.

But one thing I could read more often at my search for hints to TDP at the 750Ti:
Cryptomining seems to push the card harder than furmark. Don´t know if that could result in higher tempreture?

Both Nvidia and AMD both have throttling built in with using applications like Furmark and Kombuster. The loads they put on cards are not realistic (outside of mining perhaps). If you end up passing Heaven/Valley for a couple hours, you will fold or mine just fine. ;)

that stability is bedder to test with valley, yes i agree.

for maximum heat testing? furmark gets bedder results to me.

maybee because i need to know, if my watercooling will stand the system-heat ;)

nice! Wow!

side note, you may want to move away from furmark as it was deemed a 'power virus'. Years ago, both nvidia and amd said to stay away from it. Unigine heaven or valley are one of the better benchmarks to test for stability and heat output. :)

Are these free? :)

Hello All

I found some interessting things while testing some modifications for the BIOS.

In the Voltagetable the P00 Satates seems to be the values for max. Boost, so that it should be possible to get mor voltage out of some cards. My Gainwart only goes up to 1.200v (original is only 1.181v).

The next is:
If the boosttable is set to "fix invalid boost states" it is possible to set own boost-clock.
I also did change the entrys in the TAB booststates for the clocks i changed.

My card now runs core 1255MHz / boost 1425MHz / VRAM 2930 / vcore 1.200v

The german printmagazin PCGH also did this on a Asus OC and could get 1.27v for vcore.

Edit:
Do not change Clock 50 or higher. While testing something with this voltage-values I got a BIOS which never speeeds up the Card from Standby-Clocks ;) I would say useless ;)

I feel quite lucky. My evga gtx 750 Ti superclocked (no power connector) does 1400 ish flat with no modifications at all to bios or voltage. Just the standard bios and voltage. Up the core speed I think around 80 and I'm done! Perfectly stable in games. I used to have it 1410 or so but my drivers froze up so I dropped it a bit and left it.

That said I don't play games much anymore anyway... 750 Ti is a great little card. Hopefully a good indication of what's to come in the future for high end Maxwell's!!

Hello All

I found some interessting things while testing some modifications for the BIOS.

In the Voltagetable the P00 Satates seems to be the values for max. Boost, so that it should be possible to get mor voltage out of some cards. My Gainwart only goes up to 1.200v (original is only 1.181v).

The next is:
If the boosttable is set to "fix invalid boost states" it is possible to set own boost-clock.
I also did change the entrys in the TAB booststates for the clocks i changed.

My card now runs core 1255MHz / boost 1425MHz / VRAM 2930 / vcore 1.200v

The german printmagazin PCGH also did this on a Asus OC and could get 1.27v for vcore.

Edit:
Do not change Clock 50 or higher. While testing something with this voltage-values I got a BIOS which never speeeds up the Card from Standby-Clocks ;) I would say useless ;)

Dude can you explain a bit more how to get more voltage using the voltage table cause I'm stumped, there's a lot of values and I don't know which one to change. Also, I've changed my card's (Gigabyte's) power limit to 200W lolol. So I do know how to change stuff in the bios a bit, and how come you guys get so high of a stock voltage? I only get 1.43 even with +31mV in afterburner so I could only do 1355MHz.

Back