• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flat/recessed baybus???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gahdzila

I built a crappy baybus for my old case (an InWin something-or-other)...basically, DPDT switches mounted on a 3.5 inch drive bay.

I'm planning to just start from scratch and build a new 5.25 inch baybus to go in my new case (a black aluminum Chieftec...the one with the door over the drives). The problem I'm anticipating is finding a switch/rheo that would fit behind the door when the door is closed. The switches on the old baybus are quite small...but I've measured them, and I'm sure they won't fit. I was thinking I'd rather have rheo's/pot's than the 7-off-12 switch setup I have now...and I came up with a REALLY cool idea...

I used to own a Ford Ranger pickup...1988 model. The radio had some unique dials for the bass, treble, balance, etc. The knobs, when pressed, would actually recess into the radio's faceplate, becoming totally flat when not used. Another press caused the dial to pop back out to be adjusted. mmmm...if I could find these recessed pots...maybe some blue LED backlight to complement my cold cathode...would be hella cool.

The only other idea I can think of is to build the thing as usual, to fit in a 5.25 bay...dremel the edges off of the bay cover...and actually have the whole shebang recessed in the bay far enough that the dials arent hitting the door of my case. If I did this, I'd also somehow have to fabricate a "floor", a "ceiling" and "walls" for the visible recess, so that the bare aluminum of the case isn't showing. This option, I would think, would be rather difficult to implement.

I don't recall ever seeing push-button-recessed pot's or rheo's at Radio Shack...and that's pretty much the only local place here that I can get stuff like that.

Have any of you guys ever seen any rheo's/pot's like what I'm talking about? Can I find them online? Or, you guys have any other ideas I might try to fit a baybus behind my door?

any thoughts/comments appreciated!!!!

palee72

Try calling around to some of the local car dealerships and see if they have any dead radio's like that, that they might be willing to sell you... It might be a little expensive, but it may be the only way..

The only problem you might have with that is they may not be of high enough resistance, or able to handle the wattage.....

I'll keep my eyes open for you tho..

LittlePiggie

Ask at radio shack. Just make sure you get someone who knows what they're talking about. I'm sure they can get them...

OP
gahdzila

gahdzila

I use a baybus from frozencpu.com which uess the switches and it fits, just to let you know.
thanks for the reply!
buying just isn't my thing...building it is at least half the fun!

to show you what I'm talking about, here's a pic of the case...this one is just like mine, except mine is black, and doesnt have the side blowhole in the window (thanks for the pic, newegg!)

http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/11-125-116-01.JPG

and with the door open:

http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/11-125-116-02.JPG

I think it would look best in the top bay...just my opinion...that's where I wanted to put it. The ridges in the top of the door run right smack down the center of the top 5.25 bay. I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem fitting a baybus in one of the other bays, so long as the switches arent right along the outer ridges of the door.

X2sandman---since you have the same case...do you have your baybus in the top bay? how long are the "stems" (is that what you call them???) on your switches?

or I COULD put the baybus in a lower bay...put a DVD drive in the top bay...install a top window in my case and do that cool looking DVD drive mod...mmmm.... :p

one more question...could you guys recommend any other ONLINE stores (other than Radio Shack...that's really the only place I know of) to buy rheostats, pots, switches, wire, resistors, and other such electronics hobbyist-type supplies?

thanks!