• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flexible light?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well theres EL wire, but I dont know how bright it is because I have never used it. A while ago I saw a post with a link to an article where someone burnt a CC to make it bend. Dont remember the article, i just remember it being in Dutch :)

El wire is not nearly as bright as a CCRT. there colors are off too depending from what site you buy them from. I ordered a blue el cable from pcmods and it ended up being green. I emailed them and they said all there blue el cables are green. wtf dumba$$

Caffinehog said:
Hmm... is there anything that looks like a cold cathode or neon bulb that is flexible?

Still trying to figure out that light saber? What about some Fiber Optics and super bright LEDs?

Yeah... still working on the light saber. I ordered some glow wire... we'll see how it does. How bright is it, anyways? I want something that looks at least vaguely like it does in the movies and that you can fight with. And I want the light to be pretty consitent along the entire length. And bright.

P.S. I ordered one red and one green so that I can switch from Jedi to Sith with the flip of a switch!

Caffinehog said:

P.S. I ordered one red and one green so that I can switch from Jedi to Sith with the flip of a switch!

haaha sweeeet. But wont the EL wire have to be plugged in? That wont be to good for saber fighting.

Dang... glow wire isn't very bright... Is there anything better that is both flexible and durable to shock?

Super Bright LED. Get an acrylic rod and drill a small hole in it and sink the LED in there. See how that works. I would then put another tube over the acrylic rod.

that would be my suggestion, get a buttload of leds and put them in intervals in the rod like this

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

it would be a lot of wiring but it would be really bright. would also make room at the base for a bunch of D-cell batteries for a handle

Digital

Oh even better idea. Make a small cluster of two color leds. You can get red and green. Then find the tube that you are going to use for the outside of the sabre. Paint it with a semigloss clear coat to give it a milky color almost, this will help evenly spread out the light. Put the LEDs in the handle and it should create enough light for the whole tube. Plus you can run it off of a couple of batteries. Don't foget the switch so you can chnage the LEDs color too. Red or Green :D

You could get a neon custom made. I know if can be done, there is a place near where I live, but I don't know the cost. They make neon signs N stuff.

Jeff.

Back