• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flickering monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hello, just a quick inquiry. My newish monitor, in the sig, runs perfectly at 144Hz, and that's great, since that is what I want. But playing Skyrim there are all kinds of problems with anything over 60fps/60Hz, and once you install mods you can't use the fps limiter that comes with AMD, Vortex, the mod manager, handles the game and over-rides any limiter for some weird reason.

So, the only solution I found is to change the Hz of my monitor in windows to 60Hz while playing Skyrim. Now, I only play Skyrim at the moment so I don't need 144Hz, but in 60Hz, while the game is perfect, it flickers sometimes. Definitely on the load screen, not within the game, but also in Windows itself, and movies are completely unwatchable, when I put MPC or Potplayer in full screen, or even a window, it flickers like crazy.

Any solution to this?

I can try to limit fps with Riva, maybe it will allow it, but somehow I doubt it as the limiter on AMD also doesn't work.

Freesync was the reason, I thought, but anyhow, I did fix this finally.

I realized I was using the Skyrim specific game setting in AMD Settings, so once I switched the FPS limiter to 60fps universally, it's working fine. As I'm only playing Skyrim at the moment, that is fine, with the monitor running at 144Hz. That being said, the problem with switching the monitor to 60Hz is still there, but I no longer ever run it at that, so it's ok I guess.

I will have to switch off the limiter as soon as I start other games, games that can handle above 60fps which I gather are pretty much all other games on the market, lol.

Back