• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flipped the fan on my Volcano 11+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fronic

And temperatures dropped to 43 from 50 at full load, ran prime for the past 20 minutes. I figure that should be enough to test max temps. BTW, this is at minimum speed w/the included fan controller. Also removed that stupid alluminum fan grille and it's definately quiter.

I ordered a duct so I will see if the will make it better. MBM reads 2700 rpm.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fronic

Maybe I should edit my sig?

Also, once all the stuff I ordered from SVC commes in (duct, fan grilles and sunbeam fan controller), I will re-do(re-wire and trim) my entire case as it's sitting with no front panel right now.

BUBBLE

Hi Fronic you mean to say that you removed the stock fan that came with teh heatsink and throw a new fan to that one? Well I've the same heatsink with lots of sound with the cooling fan. I removed the bracket that covering hte cooling fan but still that is the lodest part in my comp. Somehow I want to minimize the sound without loosing the proper cooling method. Any ideas with you for that?

clocker2

I think Fronic meant that he flipped the fan over so it now pulls air from the HS instead of pushing it in.

Interesting results, but 20 minutes is hardly long enough to establish that it's working well.

Aeon Flux

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM, AS I HAVE A OUTST
I have a volcano 11+ also. My heatsink is ducted and lapped though. Later I will try and flip the fan and see what happens to see if its a common thing with these heatsinks or just fronic. Let you all know what happens with a full report.

nodark

I'd gotten better results (temps dropped by about 3C) after turning the fans around to suck rather than blow onto the cpu on my SLK800s

OP
F

Fronic

The Volcano 11 comes with a SF2 already. Besides, after about 5 minutes, the temps stopped climbing and after 20 minutes with the fan normally attached it would yield temperature of up to 50*

I'm gonna try to see if I can get a higher overclock once I get home from work.

Also, my HS is mildly lapped and I'm using AS3. I have a tube on AS5. Will mirror sand the HS and will redo my case soon so that's when I'll re-apply and maybe get better temps.

OP
F

Fronic

BUBBLE said:
Hi Fronic you mean to say that you removed the stock fan that came with teh heatsink and throw a new fan to that one? Well I've the same heatsink with lots of sound with the cooling fan. I removed the bracket that covering hte cooling fan but still that is the lodest part in my comp. Somehow I want to minimize the sound without loosing the proper cooling method. Any ideas with you for that?

Just make sure you have a HS good core with a nice 80mm fan preferably with a duct and a properly ventilated case.

Aeon Flux

It looks as though this is an isolated incident with the volcano 11+. I tried doing the same and flipping the fan and my tempatures actually grew rapidly rather then lowering. But hey man. If it works for you great! I would just advise others with volcano 11+ to try this with good caution as it did very poorly for me.

As for me just to compare my system to fronics for a more in depth look at the configurations I have an athlon 1.33 OCed to 1.5. Voltage is stock at 1.85. Case temps are idle at 16 C. I have one exhaust 80 mm 2500 rpm fan at the top back of the case. On squirel cage blower exhaust fan on the lower PCI slot. And an 80 mm 2500 rpm fan in the lower front for in take. i also have an 80 mm 2500 rpm fan as a cold air in take above the processor. That fan was disengaged for the test though as for the balance of air pressure. Other then that my case is pretty clean and tighty in the way of cables. That should give you all the tempature related information you should need to compare.

As a side note we really need to come up with a more definitive way of comparing results and systems as the current system this community uses now is so blown out of standard its not funny.

Aeon Flux

I have the stock fan that comes the xaser edition of the volcano 11+, the 6000 rpm 79 cfm 80 mm variable speed fan.

clocker2

Aeon Flux said:

As a side note we really need to come up with a more definitive way of comparing results and systems as the current system this community uses now is so blown out of standard its not funny.
That's an interesting idea.
Why don't you start a thread devoted to trying to establish some common baselines?

Aeon Flux

clocker2 said:

That's an interesting idea.
Why don't you start a thread devoted to trying to establish some common baselines?

I would love to do that and god knows how many others have said the same thing. The problem is that it would be like trying to prove there is a god in retrospect. You see there almost is no real way to do it for the simple fact that no one has a real definitive way of being able to measure the variables. The most important measurements we need we also need thousands of dollars worth of equipment to test, such as air pressure, air flow, voltage at any given point, wattage at any given point, amperage at any given point, a real tempature and not the bios tempature and basic things like that. Also yo9u can only really compare my system to my system and thats about it. How am I supposed to be able to compare my system to your system when I live in the mountains of pennsylvania and you live in the deserts of Nevada? The enviroments are completly different and that heavily effects the performace of each machine. Also you have to take in to effect that completly identical machines will act completly different. My brother and I have the exact same system except for video cards. He has something comparable. I have a radeon 9200 and he has a geforce 5200. But yet my machine loads games, apps, and does general math way faster then his system just general time measurments. This is only a small example. I could go on for ever on how hard it would be but I think you get then point for right now. Ill start a thread in hopes that we can get some kind of standard, at least in hopes of everyone mentioning the full system spec and cooling apperatus in their machine so we can get a better understanding.

Just as a side not I have a 1.5 ghz processor and such. Im not going in to full detail but I have blown away guys machines that are twice as fast as mine supposebly but I have also seen guys with 1 ghz chips that have killed mine. And the tests came out differently day to day. Just as an example of how hard it is to compare.

clocker2

Obviously we will never establish a protocol acceptable to Science magazine and the variables are absurdly numerous.
Not to mention the phenomonon you point out about dissimilar results from identical setups.

That said however, maybe we can hash out some common terminology and maybe establish some sort of hierarchy of importance for the areas we are concerned with.

Ultimately it may be a futile effort, but should you decide to embark upon it I'll be glad to add my two cents.

Cow2kie

having the same heatsink is not an identicle setup.. case ventalation is a really important factor in any heatsink/fan. If I remember correctly, you want more cool air being sucked into your case then more air being blown out.