• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding Build #4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Damn, the new build will be a beast! Over 4 million PPD on one system is amazing. I would be curious to see what the power draw is of that setup!

I can't wait to see how it looks. Is the 1TB hard drive a bit overkill for a folding rig?

You're using risers. I'm looking forward to seeing what you get for PPD.

They're x16 risers, so they run at full load. This machine is currently pulling 3 - 3.5M PPD.

I tried running with a card on a x16 riser and got about 1/2 the expected PPD out of that card. I'm wondering why I got such poor performance. With the card slotted directly, I'm getting the expected performance, so it isn't a board problem.

I don't mean to thread-jack, so if you don't want to help troubleshoot, let me know. If you do, but not here, we can move this over to my thread. Just let me know.

I tried running with a card on a x16 riser and got about 1/2 the expected PPD out of that card. I'm wondering why I got such poor performance. With the card slotted directly, I'm getting the expected performance, so it isn't a board problem.

I don't mean to thread-jack, so if you don't want to help troubleshoot, let me know. If you do, but not here, we can move this over to my thread. Just let me know.

I'm happy to help. Was GPU-z saying it was on an x16 slot? You should be able to pull 100% PPD on a PCIe 3.0 x8. Anything lower than that and I've noticed a drop in PPD.

I'm happy to help. Was GPU-z saying it was on an x16 slot? You should be able to pull 100% PPD on a PCIe 3.0 x8. Anything lower than that and I've noticed a drop in PPD.

GPU-Z was reporting PCI-E 3.0 x8 speeds with and without the x16 riser cable. These cables are blue plastic coated wires, flat ribbons, two sections and double rows. Like old hard drive ribbon cables. I can post pictures when I get home tonight. About 30cm long.

Interesting. I would think you should get full PPD. I'm using EZDIY x16 risers from Amazon. I have 5 and they're all working great.

Those are out of stock, or I'd get one right now. However, I see they are foiled to shield them. That may be the cause of my problems. Not enough interference to fail, but maybe enough to drop the PPD. I might look around for another source. If I can avoid water cooling, that will keep my costs down. I'm thinking of just using 2 risers and staggering my cards vertically, though that might be an issue if the fans are right next to the riser cables. Still contemplating, but it looks like I need to get one of those riser cables to test before anything else.

Subbing to see what kind of numbers you get. I've been considering a project like this as well.

Those are out of stock, or I'd get one right now. However, I see they are foiled to shield them. That may be the cause of my problems. Not enough interference to fail, but maybe enough to drop the PPD. I might look around for another source. If I can avoid water cooling, that will keep my costs down. I'm thinking of just using 2 risers and staggering my cards vertically, though that might be an issue if the fans are right next to the riser cables. Still contemplating, but it looks like I need to get one of those riser cables to test before anything else.

IMO, go with EZDIY's smaller x16 risers and get a open air rig here. The risers I got (that are out of stock) are much too big and the smaller ones are cheaper and would still do the trick.

I wish I had that kind of money to throw at stanford lmao.

In all seriousness, I will do what I can. Even a 323k PPD, it is still 323k that they didn't have before.

Back