• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on a corporate server.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
If its always under heavy load perhaps it would be best to leave it alone. If its already under heavy load then FaH wont get very far anyway.

OP
Miralcos

Miralcos

I have permission. I am the IT guy here. It doesn't have much load most of the time but there are times during the day that it gets hit pretty hard. But at night and on the weekends it just sits there idling. Just wondering if anyone was having any issues with [email protected] not giving up the cycles quick enough or something.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Miralcos said:
I have permission. I am the IT guy here. It doesn't have much load most of the time but there are times during the day that it gets hit pretty hard. But at night and on the weekends it just sits there idling. Just wondering if anyone was having any issues with [email protected] not giving up the cycles quick enough or something.

Yeah Fah should be OK. Might want to have it just run weekends and evenings if it appears to cause hassle though. I dont really see a huge problem.

axlecrusher

I wouldn't do it. I tried FAH on a webserver somewhere, and it ended up really slowing down the server. FAH was fine for a while but then something happened, not really sure what but it slowed the server way down. It was an older client though.

Axle

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Older clients would cause gamers and servers to slow up here and there. However, Nik and I have at least six corporate servers folding 24/7 (one dual 2.0 xeon, the rest are single cpu P4's).

The large majority of servers in the work place are simple file servers that also handle some DHCP, a little DNS, and maybe some Active Directory (if they are of the Windows variety). These machines are rarely ever taxed with cpu usage and can fold along until the cows come home with no trouble.

Borg it!

Wedo

OP
Miralcos

Miralcos

MuEagle05 said:
well then, i'll have to try it out. That'll save me a lot of time not having to shut down services.

When I first started folding, I would notice a little stutter every once in a while in a game. But for the last six or eight months, I don't notice any difference in gameplay with it on or with it off. Could be from the update of cores a while back. So, since then, the only time my gaming machine isn't folding is when I'm sleeping and have the computer turned off. :fold:

OC-AMD

Registered
It all depends on what your server is hosting... some apps don't like to compete with [email protected] I've seen a lot of .NET stuff grind to a crawl with [email protected] running on some high end servers. I run it on Metaframe servers on non-peak hours, a few domain controllers/backup servers I'll run 2 out of 4 sessions... same with print servers. I won't put it on any file servers or heavy application servers. All these servers are dual Xeon's in the 2.4 to 3.2Ghz range with a few gigs of RAM.

Tatuya

Just do a trial run and see if all is good, if not turn FAH on every night and off when you get to work. If all is good, install the one click and you should be fine for some nice points.

flixotide

How could I possibly miss this particular thread :)

I've been VERY against borging and FAH'ing on corporate servers, not as much because of performance, but due to the political issues involved SHOULD anyone have a burr up their butt.

But my own thin-red-line is to borg any non critical servers. E.g. I'd never touch a file-server or company web-portal server, even if it idles 23 hours a day, simply for the risk of being accused by "stupid" people that its my fault it crashed, burned a PSU or whatever.

So take it easy, think it over... it could really cost you a lot of hassle... and for what? its a small dual xeon.

I'd say its not worth the risk or trouble.

Cheers, Flix