• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding on a p4, at what temp does the p4 throttle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Impossible to tell. There are 2 temps sensors in P4's, one for us to read (on die that is) and one for throttling/shutdown/safety. The one we can monitor on die is very close to the surface of the core and not in a 'hot spot'. The other sensor is burried deep inside the core in a much hotter spot. Some reports say the differnce between the 2 sensors can vary as much as 40C :eek:

RadiationMan

What mobo are you using? I have an Abit, and they measure temps about 10C higher than most because it is a "calculated" temp. I usually run about 55-56C load.

JetMech

RadiationMan said:
What mobo are you using? I have an Abit, and they measure temps about 10C higher than most because it is a "calculated" temp. I usually run about 55-56C load.
To prove your point I'm running a [email protected] at 67C right now with no throttling and have been running this way for two weeks now and this is not the hottest this room had gotten by a long shot (wife suddenly finds a need to run the heater (don't worry I won't hurt her too bad)). There is no way this temp reading is correct. Abit IC7 MAX3.

matrixzen

Intels in general, I don't think, were made to run that hot. Your CPU probably is throttling down. Add some Artic Silver to your heatsink if you don't have none, add some more case fans if you can and if you can afford it you might look into a better CPU cooler. Good luck! FOLD ON!

OP
M

MLMIB

well there is artic silver 5 on it, and my water block has been leak testing for a week now(every time I think it's ready, I go to pick it up and another leak springs, kina annoying)

Cjwinnit

B&
It's high.

I think it kicks in at 65 degrees but the on-die sensors aren't the epitome of accuracy..

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Guys, all of you are WRONG (except JetMech)! The monitoring diode is totally seperate of the throttling/shutdown diode!

Quailane

Too see if its throttling down just use cpuid to check the gigahertz. Shouldn't that tell you what it's currently running?

OP
M

MLMIB

it's an abit, 'n it's still running it's full 3 ghz, but the temp sorta worries me a bit out of overclocking... =/

RadiationMan

Why do you think it is throttling down? Is your production lower than expected, or does it fluctuate? Have you noticed a change in the time it takes to complete a frame? Or were you just concerned that it might be throttling down, due to your higher than desired temps?

*edit* Are you overclocking? If so, what voltage is selected. Sorry if you've said this already, I couldn't see that you had. Before I overclocked mine, I ran 67 degrees load on the stock HSF. Artic silver 3 and my zalman HSF helped a lot.

Last edited:

Cjwinnit

B&
nikhsub1 said:
Guys, all of you are WRONG (except JetMech)! The monitoring diode is totally seperate of the throttling/shutdown diode!

I know it's the SIGTERM diode...