• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding two GTX 970s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RipD

Hi all,

Back after being gone for a while. Tried folding 2 GTX 970s in my PC and did not get good results. Performance of both is dropping considerably when I run both. Guessing this is due to PCIe bandwidth - my slots slow to 8x when both are used.

Could I expect full PPD from both cards with a newer MB that runs both slots at 16x? If so I'll start shopping for an x99 MB.

jaymz9350

Is the board PCI-E 3.0? If so that's not the problem, I run 2 970's at 8x and get 600k+ out of them (running boost clocks of 1452 and 1465). Give us a rundown of your setup, system specs OS ect.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
something's way wrong, you should get full production all the way down to x4 without issue, if not down to x1. start like he said, list the system in detail please.

OP
R

RipD

Should be PCIe 3.0. Intel DP67BG. That site says the board is 2 16x, but other documentation shows 1 16x, 2 8x, so I'm not sure. 750W Silverstone PSU. 12G DDR3. Corsair water cooler and hard drive - nothing else in the system. CPU is running at stock speed and I'm not CPU folding.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Do you have your username and key for quick return bonus? You have to complete 10 work units to start getting the extra credit.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I suspect he's having some thermal throttling with 2 cards and needs to get some air going.

OP
R

RipD

Do you have your username and key for quick return bonus? You have to complete 10 work units to start getting the extra credit.

Yes, but not really the issue anyway. I would expect to see PPD up 90% with a 2nd card. I'm not - both cards go to ~50% of what they would otherwise produce.

Forgot to mention I'm running Windows 10 in case it matters. I supposed I should try a Linux build to see if that solves it. Although that's more grasping than troubleshooting.

- - - Updated - - -

What are your PC specifications?
Don't know what you're asking.

I suspect he's having some thermal throttling with 2 cards and needs to get some air going.
Makes sense, but nope. Cards are under 70 degrees.

HayesK

my MSI p67 boards have two pcie v2 x16 slots, which run at x16 if one populated or at x8 if both populated. That intel spec page shows pcie v3 in the graphics section, but pcie v2 in the expansion options. 2x970 run just fine in the x8 pcie v2 slots, but have reduced ppd in x4 pcie v2 slot. Not sure if it matters, but the boards have 2600k cpus (stock) and 8GB ram at 1866. My 980Ti also run fine in the x8 pcie v2 slots.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
what are the specs of the rig?
cpu.
case.
psu.
ram.
how are the fans set up
what driver?
fire up gpuz, click sensors tab, expand it wide, fold for a while, post us a screen shot of it.

OP
R

RipD

as much as win10 sucks and changes your drivers, it might be.
Manually installed driver. Have Win 10 not doing driver updates.

cpu - 2600K
case - older Antec small tower - don't recall the model
psu - Silverstone 750W - can get model if needed
ram - 12G of Gskill DDR3 (ram is good - doubt that's a factor)
how are the fans set up - one intake, one exhaust. Exhaust has my cpu radiator on it. GPU card temps have never hit 70C.
what driver - 362.00, installed by me. Did a clean install.
fire up gpuz, click sensors tab, expand it wide, fold for a while, post us a screen shot of it - see below. Running one card now. Will reinstall other card and grab screen shots of both

gpuz1.JPG

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
drag this one out all the way across the screen, set sensor refresh to 5 seconds and screenshot that as a single and post it as abase line.
this one shows you are running at 85% tdp as a single, it might yet be heat related.