• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding- Where do I begin........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

So this is something I have been intending to get into since becoming ill 16 months ago. But I have no clue where to begin and just over whelmed frankly by all the information. I have a build going for the wife and one for me for benching/gaming and there are "extra" parts, so I was curious about Folding as I am in a position where for not a lot more funds in parts I can get a dedicated folding rig setup.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

folding now is all about the gpu, the 280x will be a good choice, the 860k and z87 will do also, you will need windows as an operating system for folding on amd.

grab some ram, a psu and other gear, get it booted and let us know when you are ready to began.

folding now is all about the gpu, the 280x will be a good choice, the 860k and z87 will do also, you will need windows as an operating system for folding on amd.

grab some ram, a psu and other gear, get it booted and let us know when you are ready to began.

Ok perfect then Ill grab a mobo for the 860 K. Is water cooling worth it for folding? the 280X is an ASUS Matrix Platinum.......

I have an ITx case here but sure that's not gonna work for folding right........

Also have an EVGA 650W G2 already for the 280X build. I can use the 500W bronze seasonic for the wife's build using the 750 Ti or another GPU if that sells......

a bit of overkill for a folding only rig, with a single card you can use a 550 watt psu I assume you will be using this rig for other things.
what other things will you be doing with it?

for cooling just the stock air cooler will be fine, you can under clock and under volt it as folding is all about the card and the cpu is only there to feed the card.

Honestly it's just this is what's left and I'm trying to limit taking a loss on stuff just to sell it and re purpose it if I can. I could use the 750 Ti from the wife's build and give her the 280X but not sure how that would do. The 860K is a second unit en route that I would like to find a use for. I would also bench this just for fun if I got it up and running, this would be a secondary setup to the main rig I had previously linked.....

That's what I am trying to figure out here do I just sell off what I have that won't be used in the other rigs and build a less expensive Folding rig or......

The PSU is on hand already and not enough for my SLI build and overkill on the wife's build too, I figured if I OC'ed the GPU (280x) the 650W would be a good safety net...... :eh?:

well then get the 750ti, it is maxwell and you should fold under linux with that and that cuts out the price of the os and the rest of the rig you can use cheap and used stuff.

the 750TI, on linux, with the lowest power cpu, delete the hdd, smallest ssd you have, air cooler.

pcpartspicker does not like the rig i am on and can only see about half the page.

more than plenty, for nvidia the cpu just needs one core free per gpu, the cpu does very little, when you configure your system we will help you set up the slots and delete the cpu slot.

more than plenty, for nvidia the cpu just needs one core free per gpu, the cpu does very little, when you configure your system we will help you set up the slots and delete the cpu slot.

Perfect thanks for the help. All I need to get is the motherboard then and I am set. Would a Pentium G3258 work here as well? Because if so I can give my nephew the 860K and a mobo for it and take his Pentium and mobo for that and then everyone has parts to make them happy :)

Back