• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding with Ubuntu...want to give it a try

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I have 2 old laptops that I have folding in Windows (both Windows 10)...and they turn in a paltry 4K PPD each.

From what I have been reading, CPU folding is more efficient in Linux than Windows. Most of these were dated a few years ago...is this still true?

If it is true, then I finally have a reason to bite the bullet and learn Linux (been successfully avoiding it all of these years...need a project that won't cause me spending $$ - have my daughter's wedding to pay for - hehe!)

So, is it better to do a dual boot setup, or will I still get good efficiency running it in a VM?

I'll try on one laptop first...and if successful, I'll setup the second one.

(Already reading through the guides in here about how to setup...but I may be asking questions.)

I have 2 old laptops that I have folding in Windows (both Windows 10)...and they turn in a paltry 4K PPD each.

From what I have been reading, CPU folding is more efficient in Linux than Windows. Most of these were dated a few years ago...is this still true?

If it is true, then I finally have a reason to bite the bullet and learn Linux (been successfully avoiding it all of these years...need a project that won't cause me spending $$ - have my daughter's wedding to pay for - hehe!)

So, is it better to do a dual boot setup, or will I still get good efficiency running it in a VM?

I'll try on one laptop first...and if successful, I'll setup the second one.

(Already reading through the guides in here about how to setup...but I may be asking questions.)

Dual boot if youre not ready to take the plunge.

I'm thinking that if you're not 100% sure you might want to boot Ubuntu from a flash drive to test the waters.
Linux is not so tough, but the number of options!!!!!!!
Ubuntu is more or less plug and play.

The video card in one laptop is a Radeon mobility 4850 (no longer supported by folding) and the other is an iGPU (not supported by folding)...so no loss... Only cpu folding!

OK:
1. VM is up
2. Ubuntu installed (took longer than it should have to get screen resolution right :D)
3. F@H installed (thanks guides)
4. Folding in VM on laptop

Will report back with before and after ppd. (Only running 7 threads in VM...1 reserves for Windows)

5.87% into first fold...ppd estimate is 4.9K...ppd estimate on last fold in Windows was 3.9K.

Converted both laptops to Ubuntu dual boot systems. Currently up and folding (CPU only - GPUs too old to fold on).

Both laptops are folding in the 5.2 K ppd range...both before where in the 3.9 K ppd range.

Not a bad improvement!

Is there a way in Ubuntu to force the higher processor clock? On one of the laptops (4 core / 8 thread) the CPU frequency would oscillate between 1500 MHz and 1800 MHz in Windows 10. The same machine with Ubuntu, it is sitting at a constant 1600 MHz. Could get another 12.5% gain if I could get it to run at 1800 MHz all the time.

Back