• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

can some1 please explain to me what folding is? i hear way too often ont hese forums not to know what it means!

im guessing its when you overclock adn leave ur computer on 24/7, but i dont see if any1 is gonna know when u switch it off :D

OP
arnoldma

arnoldma

i know its there but it doesnt actually say what folding is, they dont assume ppl as noobish as me to read those :p

broken003

directly from the stanford site

What does [email protected] do? [email protected] is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

How can you help? You can help our project by downloading and running our client software. Our algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project, we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed

and the FAQ
http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html

you should post folding specific questions to the folding forum...the first link I sent.