• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

for the debates on water vs air........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
as I mentioned in another post, the millenium sink has been released.

From the review done by Ed on the front page a month or so ago, it's supposed to cool as well as a water rig and very quiet.

If you're buying one or the other, I'd hold off a week or so. Several seniors here are going to do some reviews of their own and will post their results shortly after. I'm rather excited about the sink and can't wait to see how it holds up to my water rig.

Good topic Shadow. I'll be testing it against my PEP66v2, since I haven't got any water rigs. I have some different fans as well to test with it.

I checked Millenium's site yesterday. He claims a C/W of .22 on yhe site. This is good but most "good" water cooling setups are in the .13 - .15 C/W range. There's no way air can be as good as water when water has 30X the heat transfer ability.

I don't think anyone with a lick of sense will argue the merits of water over air cooling. For the most part, air cooling, though less efficient, will be easier to implement and less costly. That, having been said, it air cooling can't meet your heat needs, water is the next best way to go. always seek out the simplest solution (least expensive) and only migrate to more complex (more expensive) as need dictates. I would rather employ a moderate to expensive air cooling solution than a "bargain basement" water cooling system, even though they may be similarly priced. A decent (read worthwhile) water cooling system will cost you close to $200.00, if you buy everything you need. I enjoy playing with air cooling because there is always room for improvement. Water cooling needs very little improving, when implemented properly.

Hoot

Hoot (May 21, 2001 12:15 p.m.):
I enjoy playing with air cooling because there is always room for improvement. Water cooling needs very little improving, when implemented properly.

Hoot

But then there are pelts. The adventure never ends.

Hoot (May 21, 2001 12:15 p.m.):
A decent (read worthwhile) water cooling system will cost you close to $200.00, if you buy everything you need.

Hoot

My water cooling rig cost me
$25 for the waterblock (TidalPool)
$45 for the 210Gph pump.
$10 for the Jbox ( the resivor)
$5 fot the tubing
$20 for the radiator (Pepboys automatic tranny cooler)

Total $105.00 Plus about a half day to setup...

And this keeps my 633 cele @ 1030 at a max of 33c without a peltier
and at 1103 at -13c with a peltier (80w).

You can build a cheap (read worthwhile) water cooler for about a $100.

Back