• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those with the new .13 micron xp 1700+ processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
T

Tru2ya

Thanks kosmic, but the new 1700+ are much different then the 1800+. I've been hearing a lot of good things about them. Such as default voltage is at 1.5v(runs cooler). The chips are actually the 2200+'s underclocked, so you should be guaranteed to hit 1.8ghz regardless. They are factory unlocked so no worrying about time and effort. And so far everyone thats ordered them recently on these forums seem to have no problem hitting 2ghz on air, some not quite 2ghz because they didnt push it further yet, but felt confident that it would hit 2ghz. So i was thinking about getting the processor and just wanted to know if others had the same success.

juliendogg

i've been trying to decide between that 1700 tbred a or another agoia 1600, the only person i know here that has one and has had a chance to o/c with it is {PMS}fishy, if i'm not mistaken he hit 2ghz with his, can't remember if he's air or watercooling though.

ChrisOh

I just got the chip today, it works fine on a Abit KR7X-133 board but it will not work on my main Soyo Dragon + board, theres been a few posts on the soyo newsgroup that says I have to make a hardware modification, anyone know why the soyo board wont even detect the tbred?

OP
T

Tru2ya

Chris,

Did you try overclocking yet? I don't know really anything about the soyo boards. Try the soyo forum. I'm sure someone could help you there.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
well if it helps i got my 1600+ tbred to do 2ghz on air and 2.15 on water

specific

I just ordered a 1700 t'bred today. It will replace my dead 1800.:cry:
I just got a KX7 board too, so i will be shooting for 166fsb. I want to know how they take to 166 on good air.
What should i do with my dead 1800?

Tipycol

Good Luck with that 1700. As for the 1800 I dunno, use it as a the usual paperweight? What happened to it? Maybe if it's not in a bad condition, you could send it to AMD, then they'd fix it and send it to Newegg as a Refurbished CPU

specific

I didn't seat the hs properly when i switched mobos. Dumb mistake made in haste.

*dodge fruits and vegetables hurled in my direction*

so i fried it. can it be brought back from the dead? if so, at what cost?

Captain Hilts

I got my 1700+ Tbred a couple of days ago. Right now I am using the stock heatsink and fan with a bit of arctic silver, and it's running stable at 1743MHz (166x10.5), but I had to up the vcore to 1.725. It's definately not just an underclocked 2200+, as it should be able to reach 1.8GHz with the vcore at 1.65 if that was the case. Must be a fallout from that batch.

I may try a better heatsink but the cpu isn't burning up too much(cpu surface temp. is around 45 C full load) so I'm not sure if that'll help a great deal. It's not stable at 1825MHz (166x11) even with a vcore as high as 1.875v.

OP
T

Tru2ya

Hmm, maybe it might be another factor keeping you from overclocking more. Can you give me some info on your system, such as your mboard and ram.

Captain Hilts

Unfortunately I don't think anything else is limiting me, nothing else is out of spec. It's on an Abit KD7 with 256MB Cas2.5 DDR333 Samsung ram. I'm leaving the memory bus at 166MHz as I overclock.

I tried 133x13.5 for 1.8GHz, the 2200+ default, and it would post but not fully boot. I can boot if I up the vcore over 1.8 but it's not stable.

{PMS}fishy

juliendogg said:
i've been trying to decide between that 1700 tbred a or another agoia 1600, the only person i know here that has one and has had a chance to o/c with it is {PMS}fishy, if i'm not mistaken he hit 2ghz with his, can't remember if he's air or watercooling though.

T-bred.jpg

Water Cooled. My 1600+ was just as good. This chip needed less voltage to reach the same speeds, but runs much hotter and is not worth it. Im selling this CPU and I have another 1600+ comming to replace the one that I sold.

OP
T

Tru2ya

What speed is your ram, maybe that may've been holding you back and i'm suprised to hear that it runs hotter. I thought with the lower volts it would definitely run cooler.

juliendogg

thanx {pms}fishy. appreciate the info. i was thinkin also of trying that 1800 tb-a. sposed to be a newer stepping and possibly a little better o/c'er.

OP
T

Tru2ya

Do you have any links on how good the 1800+ overclocks and how can you be sure to get the right stepping? Also does it come factory unlocked because i had so much trouble with my current cpu in my sig. The only thing i was able to do was get the cpu to think it was a 1700+, but now it still thinks that its a 1700+ even after wiping all the grease off. And 3dmark2001se continues to close on me with the cpu at default speeds and up.

Last edited: