• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"-forcegpu ati_r700"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingless

"-forcegpu ati_r700" seems to have been added automatically in my GPU2 client. Why does this particular command string have to be there? Are there enhancements coming my way because of this, or is my 4870 some oddball GPU that needs special lovin just to do a little folding?

PS: As I write this post, I can't help but notice the Eyefinity smiley: :comp:

iceage

Are you using the systray client? I haven't read anything about any of the clients entering a -forcegpu flag on setup, but it seems to be necessary for GPU2 clients. At least the ones running XP.

OP
wingless

wingless

Yes, it is in my GPU2 systray client:
GPU2.jpg

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. It added this flag after I started it up for the first time.

I just found this under the GPU2 FAQ:
What about multi-gpu support?

Yes, you can add the "-gpu N" flag (N starts at 0) to your extra parameters in the advanced page of the systray clients, or the advances settings of the console clients. Again N starts with 0 not 1, so your primary display is 0, the next is 1, etc. Each client if you are running more then one needs a different -gpu and a different machineD, and a different working directory, so follow the instructions for multiple clients.

For Tesla and other non-desktop cards, we have the "-forcegpu" flag, which will make the client ignore what it thinks the GPU is, but the core will not work if that card is unsupported, so use with caution. To use this flag you need to supply it with a gpu core type to use as an override. Currently these are ati_r600, ati_r700 and nvidia_g80. This flag may also help for headless multi-gpu setups on which the client refuses to acknowledge the presence of your GPUs. The -forcegpu flag can be use in conjunction with the -gpu flag to force the client to try and use the given gpuid. For example:

[email protected] -gpu 2 -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Would force the client to try and run the NVIDIA core on the 3rd (2 + 1) cuda enabled device in the system. Similarly:

[email protected] -gpu 3 -forcegpu ati_r600

Would force the client to try and run the ATI core on the 4th (3 + 1) CAL enabled device in the system.

I wonder if these ATI Stream/OpenCL Beta drivers I'm using have anything to do with this?

Adak

Don't tell me the FAH client is actually getting smarter and more reliable because of it!

<< OH NO! NOT THAT!! >>

There Goes Tokyo!! :D :D