• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

form factor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I know that there are a few form factors in existence, what is your favorite?

XT: original IBM form factor from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

AT: replaced the first IBM form factor, full tower only

baby-AT: a smaller version of AT

LPX: not really a "standard" but was used for proprietary systems like compaq and gateway

NLX: a low profile form factor similar to ATX but used mainly in desktop (horizontal) cases

ATX: a big improvement over AT and the most prolific by far, it can hold any ATX variant except EATX

miniATX/microATX: smaller variants of ATX

FlexATX: the smallest version of ATX

EATX: a large extended ATX for workstations and servers but can hold any ATX or ATX variant

WTX: a very large form factor for server chassis that can also hold
ATX motherboards

ITX: a very new form factor that is geared to very very small systems

Last edited:
The best? Depends on what you want.
µATX -- good for small systems
ATX -- good because it's the most common
I'm sure one of the others is a good form factor for servers and/or multiprocessor systems.

i would have to say ATX or EATX is the best form factor for our purposes, becasue the motherboards we use are (and i say this with about 99% certainty) exclusivly ATX/EATX. perhaps this should be made into a poll for form factors? WTX seems ok for our high end O/Cers but i don't think any of us can afford those knids of systems...

Back