• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Format C: question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Pieced together an Pent. 1 system with Windows 98 as the OS and when formatting the hard drive at the A: prompt when I entered format C: it went to about 2% stopped and gave the message "trying to recover allocation unit 1627" then after a 20 seconds or so it starts formatting again ... I have only seen this on this one box ... I did run fdisk and format again to see if it would repeat itself which it did ... Thanks !!!

takiwa

sounds like you have a damaged FAT table...could be a bad HDD...what kind is it? Most HDD's have a utility you can download from the manufacturer's website to do a low-level format with...anyway, try using a third party partitioner, like Ranish Partition Manager...see if that helps...

Tweak

Registered
Your hard drive is bad, that is what the trying to recover allocation unit 1627 is all about. If it is under warenty try to have it replaced. If not you are out of luck, sorry.

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
I'm just curious what was on the drive before? I would try delpart.exe just incase it had a NTFS file system. Just a thought.

OP
Hookem

Hookem

When I got the box the processor fan and PSU fan were not running and when you tried to boot it the hard drive made all kinds of crazy noises .... after replacing the floppy the PSU the processor fan and adding some more memory she booted right up but the hard drive still makes some funky noises ... The origanal OS was a OEM version of Win 98 ... Suprisingly enough it runs really good for an old Pent.1 ... Thanks again !!!

Big Nuttz

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent
I would just try throwing a 4 or 5 GB drive in. If its making alot of noise it is probably bad.