• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

format XP ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seren

I tried to format windows XP using a windows 98 boot disk and it would not let me, is there any reason why ? and the reason I was doing this is I have sold my computer and the person I have sold it to wants his ME on and I want XP, I had the drive partitoned and wanted to save D for him as it had lots of stuff he could use, drive C was ntfs D fat 32 hope that makes some sense.

legendary

Maybe it wouldn't let you format if that parition you had WinXP on was NTFS. If that's the case, use FDISK to delete and re-create the partition and then try formatting again.

OP
seren

seren

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I did, it was on NTFS so I guess that you just can't do it :D will know in the future.

Mr.Rotory

Disabled
There are a few programs out there that accually will help you convert ntfs to fat32 or vice versa. Plus you outta try partition magic, i dont remember if it has the ability to do so or not, but its worth a shot.